Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

" A 'PECKING ORDER' FOR DELI S??

no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

" A 'PECKING ORDER' FOR DELI S??

by Jim Greenbrier » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:16 pm

.....would enjoy hearing if many, or any, have a favorite Deli?? (and, perhaps comparable or exceeding NYC s Stage, or Carnegie) - too, is there a number 2 and 3 you might have in mind??

Furthermore, it would be useful to know if you have a favorite item or so in 'any' Deli !! ...

Thanks in advance,

JJG
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: " A 'PECKING ORDER' FOR DELI S??

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Jim Greenbrier wrote:.....would enjoy hearing if many, or any, have a favorite Deli?? (and, perhaps comparable or exceeding NYC s Stage, or Carnegie) - too, is there a number 2 and 3 you might have in mind??

Furthermore, it would be useful to know if you have a favorite item or so in 'any' Deli !! ...

Jim, Louisville doesn't really have New York-style delis ... they just don't seem to thrive here.

But Stevens & Stevens is certainly a great Louisville-style deli, and I'm just as happy with that.

Morris Deli out at Bardstown and Taylorsville has excellent food, too, although the very small, crowded quarters leave something to be desired in the comfort department.

And now that Lotsa Pasta has a sit-down dining area, I'd qualify it as a decent Italian deli. It's always been my favorite Louisville specialty-food store, and now you can get a muffuletta or sub and sit down and eat it on the premises.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 pm

The corned beef, pastrami and chopped liver offerings at Stevens & Stevens are as close as one is going to get to NYC style deli in Louisville. The Mark's Special and Phantom of the Opera are both good sandwiches in the tradition of NYC deli. However, you are not going to find any half-sour pickles, hand-cut extra fatty pastrami, sable, bialy, etc.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:02 pm

I've seen delis come and go in the Ville. Steven's & Steven's is my long time fave and seems to have passed the test of time. This is a good reason for this.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I find it funny that most deli's are judged on how close to NYC they get?

While I love a good NYC-style Corned Beef of Patrami, sometimes I'm not in the mood for a big monster heavy sandwich like that.

One of my 'sleeper' things to judge a good deli is their Chicken Salad.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:22 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I find it funny that most deli's are judged on how close to NYC they get?

Personally, I'm not a great fan of NYC deli, not even after having lived there and eaten a lot of it. Frankly, I find it heavy, greasy and coarse. (Let the flames begin!) Stevens & Stevens, however, is not like that. They manage a pastrami that's rich but not greasy.

But when somebody asks a deli question, I assume they're looking for NYC deli in general and NYC kosher deli in particular.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:30 pm

^ I agree. That's kinda what I was getting at, that most people seem to associate Deli = NYC Deli.

Might as well be two completely different categories if you ask me.

I love a good Pastrami on occasion, but I have to be in the mood.

Stevens & Stevens is definitely the best all-around deli in town. Still, sometimes I prefer a good. light Turkey on Wheat from a place like Deebs or Thornberry's.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:03 pm

There's nothing within 350 miles that can compare to the Carnegie! (And at the 350 mile mark is Slyman's in downtown Cleveland, which can't surpass but comes close with corned beef). (I'm not counting the Vienna plant restaurant in Chicago, which - while it has the best corned beef in the world - doesn't do the overstuffed sandwiches that the others do)

As a long-time deli afficianado who loves the stuff - unlike Robin - I'd recommend trying Jason's. I know, it's (shudder shudder) a "chain", but it's the thickest heaviest around, the only deli sandwich in town where my wife and I can split one sandwich and both be happy!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:28 pm

andrew mellman wrote: As a long-time deli afficianado who loves the stuff - unlike Robin - I'd recommend trying Jason's. I know, it's (shudder shudder) a "chain", but it's the thickest heaviest around, the only deli sandwich in town where my wife and I can split one sandwich and both be happy!

I have to agree, Jason's has about as close to a New York deli sandwich as you can get in Louisville (their salads aren't bad either) of course they're not Kosher if that matters to you. Here's a link to their Menu for those of you who aren't familiar with the place. Their only location in Louisville at the present time is located at 410 N Hurstbourne Pkwy, just North of Shelbyville Road.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm

I prefer Jason's deli, but like Stevens and Stevens as well.

I really like Giacomo's in Lexington. It may be my current fave.
no avatar
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Hmm is there a Jason's in Louisville and I am just not aware of it? I do not see one on their company web site either. May have to try it the next time I am in Nashvegas.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 pm

A 2nd Louisville Jason's Deli will be opening up in St. Matthwes in the Shelbyville Road Place (by the old Wild Oats).
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:14 pm

In my opinion, the best deli anywhere anyhow is Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI. I've never had anything that wasn't exceptional there. They've expanded a lot and now have a bakehouse as well that makes some of my favorite artisan breads. The chocolate cherry bread is to die for.

As far as Louisville, I need to try Jason's Deli. I usually hit Stevens & Stevens when I get my deli craving though.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:Hmm is there a Jason's in Louisville and I am just not aware of it? I do not see one on their company web site either. May have to try it the next time I am in Nashvegas.

Check out http://www.jasonsdeli.com/location/LKY

It's sort of next to the Bristol on Hurstbourne just East of Shelbyville Rd.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm

This thread provided the motivation for a visit to Stevens & Stevens today. I had the Mark's Special -- corned beef and pastrami with grilled onions, mustard on wheat bread. Wow. The sandwich was huge. I like the less fatty meat they use, and the grilled onions weren't too greasy for my taste. Not a big fan of the pickle -- the pickle is a quibble.