Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Jackson's Organic Coffee

by Ken Wilson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:54 pm

I had been hearing about Jackson's coffee, and decided to grab some to serve to visiting friends. I couldn't believe that this coffee - purchased out of a hole in a shack like scoring a drug deal - could be so good... easily the best coffee I've ever had. Our guests were so taken by it they had to run over to the shack and score their own to take back to New York. I hope everybody gets a chance to taste it. He's selling at ValuMarket and Whole Foods and other places. His coffee is used at 610 Magnolia and some other restaurants, which is great to hear. There's nothing worse than expecting to round out a fine meal, and getting bad coffee...
http://www.jacksonsorganiccoffee.com/
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Jackson's Organic Coffee

by Heather L » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 pm

I have been pimping this coffee since the first time I tried it. No I do not get anything for pushing this amazing coffee - it is just THAT good. It has literally spoiled me from drinking anything else. A few weeks ago I had a business meeting at a different coffee shop that I actually used to go to quite a bit. I had a large dark roast and could NOT believe that I used to drink it regularly - I couldn't stand it. So from now on - it's Jacksons or nothing.

I got a can for my 88 year old grandfather as part of his christmas gift - he is a huge coffee drinker and instantly proclaimed it the "best coffee he had ever had!"
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:I couldn't believe that this coffee - purchased out of a hole in a shack like scoring a drug deal - could be so good...

Ken, I'm a great fan of Jackson's ... they stand out for quality even in this town with an awful lot of good coffee shops.

I moved your post over to the main forum, assuming you wouldn't mind. "The Louisville Kitchen" section is more about recipes and home cookery.
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

by thommy browne » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:34 pm

I did the Web site for Jackson's and most of my payment was in their coffee. Best business decision ever. Going to to refill my can tomorrow.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Is he the coffee guy who sells at the St. Matthews farmers market? I'm not coffee drinker, but I know it's next to the Dreamcatcher Farms (Lelia Gentile) booth....

Deb
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 am

I drove through the other day for the first time and had the english tea. Christopher added honey and cream for me and it was quite possibly the best cup of tea I've ever tasted. I can't wait to get back over to try the coffee.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

.-.-.-.
Last edited by Matthew Landan on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 am

Deb,

Last time I was at the St. Matthews farmer's market, the coffee guy was from Sunergos. It's my favorite coffee in the city, better than what I used to drink in New York.

I'll have to swing by the shack. If Jackson's is better than Sunergos, that officially will make yet another area in which I prefer Louisville to NYC.
- LIz
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 am

Eliza W wrote:I'll have to swing by the shack. If Jackson's is better than Sunergos, that officially will make yet another area in which I prefer Louisville to NYC.

It's really hard to compare Jackson's and Sunergos. Sufficient to say that they are both run by dedicated craftsmen with a crazed devotion to perfectionism, and it shows. We shouldn't overlook Heine's either - they broke the trail for serious coffee microroastery in Louisville and remain strong. But Jackson and Sunergos do raise the bar even higher.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Sunergos' Sulawesi Toraja has been my house coffee for several months: smooth and flavorful. I sometimes mix it with a Heine dark roast if I want something deeper. But Jackson's does big and smooth. It's amazing there's so much good coffee in town (quick shout-out to the new Ray's on Bardstown Road - fine coffee and a relaxed, Louisville-style kid-friendly atmosphere). I just wonder why people go to Starbuck's and their sludgy over-roasted stuff. There's no nuance, no varietal distinctiveness. Blechhh... go to Jackson's Shack and see if you ever go back to Starbuck's!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Last time I was at the St. Matthews farmer's market, the coffee guy was from Sunergos.

yep, now that you say it, that's who I was thinking of.... (Remember, I'm not a coffee drinker so I Have a decent excuse for being confused).

Deb
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:53 am

Amy Hoover wrote:I drove through the other day for the first time and had the english tea. Christopher added honey and cream for me and it was quite possibly the best cup of tea I've ever tasted.

OMG, that sounds sooo good right now....
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 am

downtown, louisville, ky, usa

by Krista K » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:32 pm

WOW!!!
i drove through jackson's yesterday and sheepishly asked for "a can of beans..."

the gentleman at the drive through was so sweet and asked when i planned on brewing my coffee, now or in the morning? i said the morning and he provided me with a can of the 'Costa Rican' that had just been roasted. he said that in twelve hours it would be perfect. he was right! very bold and smooth.

i am happy!!! :D
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm

I had this coffee following an excellent meal at Mayan Cafe. Really, really good coffee. With Sunergos and Jacksons in town, Louisville is awash in great coffee.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 pm

I finally made the very smart decision to pull through the window at Jackson's. He serves coffees with little dove chocolates - nice touch. Then he discovered that I had not visited yet, and without prompt, I was educated on the attributes to his operation, just for my information. Organic and fair trade beans are roasted daily and served in compostable cups and sleeves. This is excellent coffee, and his british accent and bright personality were such a bright start to my morning (followed by excellent early spring weather!!!). Thank you, Christopher. I am the Jackie you spoke to at 8:30 this morning.
Next