Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Vito's Pizza

no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

Vito's Pizza

by Tony D. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:41 am

Vito's Pizzeria on Preston Street near the fairgrounds. Saw a note on the sidewalk board about this place being 'open under new owner'. Anyone have the scoop? Anyone know why this little dive gets good internet buzz, or why local music critic Jeffrey Lee Puckett referred to it as 'arguably Louisville's best pizza'? Anyone ever eat there?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Vito's Pizza

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:50 am

Tony D. wrote:Vito's Pizzeria on Preston Street near the fairgrounds. Saw a note on the sidewalk board about this place being 'open under new owner'. Anyone have the scoop? Anyone know why this little dive gets good internet buzz, or why local music critic Jeffrey Lee Puckett referred to it as 'arguably Louisville's best pizza'? Anyone ever eat there?

I've eaten there on occasion, Tony, and it has been mentioned - generally positively - on the forum before. I don't know about the new management, but I'd say the old Vito's weighed in above the median but not in the top tier. Dunno what's in Jeffrey's mind, but by and large, I suspect some of the buzz might be due to its kind of dive-like (but family-friendly) ambience and off-the-beaten-path location, rather than the objective quality of the pizza ... although it is good.

I'm thinking, although I may be way off on this, that the original Vito's moved from its original location near Audubon Park to Preston north of Eastern Parkway, close to Nord's, a while back, so I wonder if the new management you saw was at the old or new location.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm thinking, although I may be way off on this, that the original Vito's moved from its original location near Audubon Park to Preston north of Eastern Parkway, close to Nord's, a while back, so I wonder if the new management you saw was at the old or new location.

Don't think so.
no avatar
User

Mark Allgeier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 pm

by Mark Allgeier » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:08 am

I used to eat there with my brother. Loved the bread stick things, kinda like bread bites. That and the place by the Zoo, Frolilos I think are one of a kind, kind of joints.

" If you think I"ll sit around, waitin to be had "---J.P.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am

Charles W. wrote:Don't think so.

Okay, looking over my notes, I'm thinking about Bruno's Pizza, 1919 S. Preston, which is a block or two north of Nord's. I had the impression that they were somehow connected with the original Vito's, but I can't prove it.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Charles W. wrote:Don't think so.

Okay, looking over my notes, I'm thinking about Bruno's Pizza, 1919 S. Preston, which is a block or two north of Nord's. I had the impression that they were somehow connected with the original Vito's, but I can't prove it.

Bruno's did open in the space just north of Brandeis on Preston. I have no idea if there is any connection between them and Vito's.
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:50 am

I believe that Bruno's was opened by the original owner/operator of Vito's. There was an article in the Courier about him having trouble getting live music permits for the bar that used to be B & B, before he changed the name to Bruno's Pizzeria. I was just wondering if he gave over control of Vito's to someone else, or does he still have a hand in both places.