Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Open Love Letter to Fernando & Marcos

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Open Love Letter to Fernando & Marcos

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Just wanted to say "thank you " for a truly mood altering experience!

A little background: I was having a very difficult afternoon on Sunday (aren't teens fun? :shock: ) and needed to change my pretty nasty mood. After one look at my face, Brian, my wonderful husband, said out of nowhere: "You need to go to Mojito with your book and just enjoy". After some hestitation, I did just that. Armed with my copy of Julie & Julia, I went to Mojito for a drink and tapas. I ordered the wonderful Mojito extra-dry and it was as good as ever. Dinner at home was already planned, so I asked my waiter Mauricio for a suggestion for a "snack". The recommended Garlic Shrimp were incredible and exactly what the doctor ordered: very garlicy, served with garlic aioli and a fresh, oniony pico de gallo and toast. I ate every bite and had to stop myself from ordering even more toast to mop up that wonderful garlicy oil.

After an hour, my mood was totally changed: great book, excellent service and highly-flavored, wonderful food had done their magic. And for a total of $17.30 (including a more than 20% tip), it WAY less expensive than drugs.... :wink: .

Thanks, gentlemen.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

Re: Open Love Letter to Fernando & Marcos

by Tina Marsh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm

oh my god. I LOVE that garlic shrimp at Mojito's and Havana Rumba. Same stuff at both places. It is todiefor. It is the best stuff ever and I always want to practically drink the buttery garlic sauce left in the dish once we've used up all of our toast. I need to get in on your love letter.

oh, and the mojitos at both places. yum.

I think the mojitos and sangria are half price on mondays and tuesdays at havana rumba. or $5. or something like that. I might need to go there. it's monday today. :) (not sure if the same deal is at mojitos on mon/tues.)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Tina,

Absolutely agree with you! Just one quick edification: I think it should be "garlicy Buttery oil" not " buttery garlicy oil" :D : I don't think I still have gotten rid of my garlic breath > 24 hours later . Love that garlic!

Deb
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Is Fernando back from his first stay at LCB Paris yet?
I know he's scheduled to cook at the "Dining For Dan" dinner...

...but does anyone know conclusively if he's back stateside yet?

I ate at Mojito some months ago, just after he left... and would like to pay my compliments face to face.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:09 am

I saw Fernando about a month ago at Mojito so he is, indeed, back. He told me he was going back in March, I believe, for a semester. He couldn't get over the quality of the produce available there. I eagerly anticipate the results of these visits in his restaurants.
I know he checks in from time to time so he can correct me if I am wrong on any of this info.
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Thank you Deb, I hope you are feeling better now. Ethan I came back in December so come by any time man. Thank you Tina, Gary I hope you liked the roasted butternut squash soup.
no avatar
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I have to give accolades to Fernando for his restaurant the couple of times I have been there. I am amazed that a restaurant going on a year in business is still constantly slammed on even weeknights my only complaint is the long wait. Fernando buy the place next door and start knocking down some walls :lol:
Good Eats
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:16 am

Fernando Martinez wrote:Thank you Deb, I hope you are feeling better now. Ethan I came back in December so come by any time man. Thank you Tina, Gary I hope you liked the roasted butternut squash soup.

It was delicious, Fernando. I managed to stretch it for three snacks. It was a wonderful treat.