Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Marsha L and the splendiferous Coconut Cake

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Having heard of the sublime glory that is a Marsha L creation but never having walked in Xanadu, I found myself in Cafe Lou Lou ready to rectify the situation. My karma wheel must have rolled at the right time as she had a freshly made coconut cake that was outstanding. Dense yet moist, with a coconut frosting that didn't overpower the whole. In short, some seriously fine cake. It was a pleasure to meet you, Marsha.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Marsha L and the splendiferous Coconut Cake

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Thank you, Ed - same here.

That cake does seem to be universally loved. I must hear the following sentence three times a week at least: "I don't even really like coconut - but I love that cake!"

Cake rules!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm

WOW....just had a meal of crab soup, bread, and coconut cake!!! YUM!!!
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 pm

I, too, have partaken of that scrumptious creation ... and have brought along friends to indulge, too! Marsha L is a goddess of the kitchen. Not only is the Coconut Cake delicious, she has wowed me and my friends with her rendition of Vanilla Creme Brulee. It is to die for. I usually am not a big fan of Creme Brulee, but Marsha's version is a must have. She is one of the reasons I frequent Cafe Lou Lou! 8)
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:11 am

You guys! Knock it off ! :lol:

I'll just say the same thing I said to Ed the other day: Can you believe my boyfriend hasn't asked me to marry him yet? But hey, this thread gives me an idea...maybe I should bring him home a piece of coconut cake. But I swear I do cook for him! We just don't normally have dessert at home (except ice cream).

Speaking of ice cream, I just bought two new ice cream makers (the penguin bucket died at the end of ice cream season last fall, brave soldier) and three books about ice cream making, so the sorbets and ice creams should start flying around at Lou Lou again within a few weeks.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 am

oooh, coconut cake. did I mention I love coconut cake? I haven't been to Cafe Lou Lou yet. I must go. Soon. (And don't worry, I won't fret without a coat check. :) )
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:34 am

Tina Marsh wrote:Soon. (And don't worry, I won't fret without a coat check. :) )

LOL, Tina, we're a little more casual there, but it's a good casual, you'll see. We're open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, so come any time. And let me know you're there!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Damn you hotbytes!
There I was having my monthly calorie slip at Cafe LouLou with the Blue Cheese Polenta when I hear groans from the table behing me reminiscent of When Harry Met Sally. Of course it was the coconut cake.
So I broke down and had my first piece of cake in a year and a half. I may be doomed.
It was wonderful, Marsha.
Thank you, I think.
Last edited by GaryF on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am

"We're gonna need a bigger cake!" - /roy scheider, RIP

Y'all know what? That cake isn't even on the menu! It's just a recurring special I've been running since pumpkin cake petered out after Thanksgiving.

One week I tried to switch to pistachio cake and there was a virtual mutiny amongst the servers. And I almost lost an arm one time when I put the frosting bowl in the dish pit without offering to let anyone lick the spoon. So fear not, I will keep making it for the forseeable future, so if you want to try it, don't worry...it'll stick around for the time being.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 am

My dad's favorite cake is the world is coconut cake. I may have to order him one for his birthday this year!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:56 am

After reading all the raves about this cake, we had to try it. It lived up to every bit of praise. Bob said that it was the best cake he had ever put in his mouth!!! Not only was it wonderful, it was beautifully presented. Thanks Marsha--keep baking!!!