Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ applauds the Bristol and its wine list

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:40 am

The original Bristol Bar & Grille comes under Marty's lens this week, marking the Highlands institution's 30th year, and he offers a warm friendly 3-star review that actually reads like a higher rating - I'm unable to find a single word of less than glowing praise in the tight 570-word review. He spends about 200 of those words on an extended discussion of the Bristol's current discount wine program, which is certainly worthy of praise but was widely publicized when it was launched five months ago. And while the Bristol certainly deserves its status as a pioneer on the Louisville restaurant scene, I'm not sure whether the assertion that it was "radically chic," "daring" and "bold" when it opened in 1978 really bears close scrutiny. Still, this is nitpicky. It's an amiable review of an amiable Louisville institution, and overall his conclusions seem about right.

Bristol Bar & Grille
Louisville fixture still has the touch
http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe ... ssid=46710

Bristol Bar & Grille
1321 Bardstown Road
(502) 456-1702
http://www.bristolbarandgrille.com/
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

Re: CJ applauds the Bristol and its wine list

by Tina Marsh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:50 am

the review makes me want to go get a bottle of discounted wine. it is very tempting. that's a great deal they're offering. not sure how I didn't hear about it until now, but glad I did!
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:05 pm

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for The Bristol. 1977, first date picking up the lovely girl and driving to the Bristol by ourselves. Dining upstairs felt so sophisticated. The awkwardness of being asked what to drink and mumbling "anything on draft will be fine" and being served. Felt like you had hit the big time. They still have some outstanding dishes like Pork Dijonaise, Stilton Salad, Theresa's Sweet Chili Linguine, Steak Forrestier, Harry's House salad dressing and a damn fine Hot Brown. Cutting edge? No, but still in comfortable rotation when called upon for getting something you know will taste good to you. 30 years is pretty darn impressive for the biz. Good on 'em.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Cutting edge? No, but still in comfortable rotation when called upon for getting something you know will taste good to you. 30 years is pretty darn impressive for the biz. Good on 'em.

I agree. And I'm surprised I didn't see you in there, back in the day. I sure spent enough time there!
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Robin,
Ed would have been the huge guy with red hair and Vasque hiking boots and few pimples. He was only 16 when he was served.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Will Crawford wrote:Ed would have been the huge guy with red hair and Vasque hiking boots and few pimples. He was only 16 when he was served.

Oh, THAT guy! I remember him now ...
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Will Crawford wrote:Ed would have been the huge guy with red hair and Vasque hiking boots and few pimples. He was only 16 when he was served.

Oh, THAT guy! I remember him now ...

That would have been my ultra sophisticated "urban psycho lumberjack" look. Very popular for getting served. :lol: