Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New Forum: Post questions, comments here

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:16 am

SATURDAY UPDATE! We're up and running with the new software, and it seems like everything is working. Don't hesitate to pipe up if you have any questions. This thread is as good a place as any to post your comments and questions.

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that we'll soon be upgrading the forum to the next version of the phpBB software, which will provide a few new bells and whistles and, from my standpoint, greater speed, stability and security for the forum.

It now looks like we'll make the changeover this weekend, depending to some extent on my programming associate's schedule. The forum will likely be offline for an hour or two during this period, so don't be alarmed if you check in and find us inaccessible. It shouldn't last long!

Again, if you want to preview the new setup and how it works, we've been running it on our wine forums for a couple of months now, and it seems everyone is quite happy with it:

<b>Click to view WineLovers Discussion Groups</b>

There are a couple of gotchas that will primarily be of interest only to power users:

* The new system does NOT accommodate HTML coding in posts, but it does accept the similar, somewhat less full-featured BBCode. This means that images and formatting in some older posts may disappear. It's just part of the price of progress, although anyone who wishes to do so may edit their own older posts to put in new code to bring the images back. (I'll be happy to help with this.)

* A lot of familiar commands are in new places; a few have gone missing, but there are lots more new ones. As for the simple basics - reading, replying, posting - it's an easy learning curve. For those who want to get involved in more advanced bells and whistles, it's a simple enough learning process, and again, I'm here to help.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Will URLs change--that is, will I have to change any bookmarks?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Charles W. wrote:Will URLs change--that is, will I have to change any bookmarks?

No, and sorry I didn't spell that out: All URLs and addresses will remain unchanged, and the contents of the forum, including all current posts, will remain. Only the templates and surrounding software will change.
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 pm

I hope so... the software for aol is week and there should be a easier way to upload photos of food to pin up on a post.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Re: Update: Looks like it worked!

by Tom Holstein » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 am

The new software is easier on my vision. Since I read far more than post, that's an unexpected benefit.
Thanks for the efforts and investment. :D
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

New Forum Format

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:59 am

Robin, just wanted to let you know that I really like the new format. It is a clean and more modern look and feel. You and your technical help did a great job converting to the new format without a major interruption. I know from past experience it can be a difficult job and you guys executed very well. From everything I've seen everything works as expected and it's very smooth.

Keep up the good work!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: New Forum Format

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:34 am

Mark R. wrote:Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Mark, and just to play with the new toys, I used the new admin tools to "merge" your post in to the general discussion post about the software. Looks like it worked great - I hope you can find it, though! :D
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:47 am

Very nice! After a couple of days this will seem like we've had it all along. Thanks for all you do.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:52 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Very nice! After a couple of days this will seem like we've had it all along. Thanks for all you do.

Note, all, that a few little changes will seem irritating for a while. For example, when you simply click on a link, that click will now replace the forum in the same window. If you prefer to open links in a different window or tab, you'll have to use alternatives like Ctrl-click or RIGHT-click, then pick "open in new tab" or "open in new window" from the choices. Small stuff, but it will be irritating til we get used to it.

Also, the software no longer supports HTML Not a problem for most of us, but if you've been using standard HTML to accomplish font changes, images and such, again, you'll want to learn the new system - and don't be shy about asking for help - ideally in this thread - if you need it.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: New Forum Format

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Mark, and just to play with the new toys, I used the new admin tools to "merge" your post in to the general discussion post about the software. Looks like it worked great - I hope you can find it, though! :D

I didn't have a problem finding it, I must have missed the announcement on top one I logged in earlier (or wasn't it there?). Anyway with it being on top I read it first and found my post immediately.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:37 am

The only thing I don't like is that all my photos and pix have disappeared. Oh well, more will be on the way.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 am

Tom Holstein wrote:The new software is easier on my vision. Since I read far more than post, that's an unexpected benefit.
Thanks for the efforts and investment. :D
Tom

I have felt the exact opposite about this new version of phpBB. I'm 41, and it makes me squint a lot (and the font tool doesn't do anything in Firefox). Maybe it's a matter of the specific style that has been applied. Also, a lot of the graphic cues make little sense from a design point of view -- the cursor-over highlighting makes me want to click the area that is highlighted, but nothing functional occurs. I also think a lot of the graphics that phpBB is using are rather unattractive, compared even to their previous version.

That said, there are useful enhancements, but a lot of them were available to the previous version in the form of mods.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:13 am

Doogy R wrote:The only thing I don't like is that all my photos and pix have disappeared. Oh well, more will be on the way.

Actually, the pics are still there, but because the new software doesn't support HTML, the code around them has stopped working. You can go back and edit them, if you wish, to make the pictures reappear. Simply remove all the HTML tags surrounding the target URL and replace it with the BBCode Img tags, and they'll pop right back.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:16 am

Steve Magruder wrote:(and the font tool doesn't do anything in Firefox).

Steve, that's not correct. I'm looking at the forum in Firefox ver 2.0.0.12 right now, and both VIEW > TEXT SIZE > INCREASE and the keyboard shortcut CTRL-+ work exactly as they should.

In that light, I'll reserve judgment on the merits of your other comments. ;)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:30 am

Doogy R wrote:The only thing I don't like is that all my photos and pix have disappeared. Oh well, more will be on the way.

Okay, better news yet: No absolute guarantees, but we've made a global tweak that should bring back MOST of the pictures in older posts. Check 'em out and I think you'll find that most of your pix are back now, Doogy. I'm looking at them in the White Castle thread, for instance, and it looks good from here. Keep 'em coming, Doogy!
Next