Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hot Browns

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:57 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:But hey, since you agree with the "vegetarian" addition, then I'm not really sure why we're having this discussion, since that's the only instance of changing a defined dish that was present here. ^^;

Not actually, the discussion spread to talking about Hot Browns containing seafood etc. at Winston's.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Hot Browns

by Jay M. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Mark R. wrote:I wish places would quit giving the same name to different dishes!....When a traditional recipe is changed radically the name should also be changed to avoid confusion of the uninformed!

Don't even get me started on "martini". :x
no avatar
User

John Burley

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Hot Browns

by John Burley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Heather L wrote:Yum John! Tell me more about it if possible.

Heather,

We have kept the dish farily simple. We include fresh sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomato. Then top with fresh baby leaf spinach, cheese, our regular hot brown mornay sauce and pop it into the oven. It is quite delicious and all for $9.95 including a soft drink, coffee or iced tea.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 pm

The worst example of changing a name .... martini .. originally gin & vermouth.

Now almost anything. Sometimes I wonder if they even have a bottle of gin. Most restaurants serve a bunch of "martinis" appletini, dirty martini (the grossest) and anything else they can think of. Not necessarily bad drinks, but a MARTINI .. NAAA
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: Re:

by Aaron Newton » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Aaron Newton wrote:But hey, since you agree with the "vegetarian" addition, then I'm not really sure why we're having this discussion, since that's the only instance of changing a defined dish that was present here. ^^;

Not actually, the discussion spread to talking about Hot Browns containing seafood etc. at Winston's.

Ok, fine, it wasn't the only one. Though the comment you quoted and were responding to was specifically about a vegetarian one.. Not a seafood one.

Edit: Hell, the Winston's one is called a "NOT Brown". While the name might be a little cheesy, it's hardly going to cause the kind of confusion you attribute to modified dishes. It illustrated well that the dish is like a Hot Brown... but NOT.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re:

by GaryF » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am

Steve Shade wrote:The worst example of changing a name .... martini .. originally gin & vermouth.

Now almost anything. Sometimes I wonder if they even have a bottle of gin. Most restaurants serve a bunch of "martinis" appletini, dirty martini (the grossest) and anything else they can think of. Not necessarily bad drinks, but a MARTINI .. NAAA

Makes me crazy!
I finally figured out that anything in an up glass is now called a martini. Blasphemy.
I guess my mother's grasshopper would now be a creamy greeny martini.
no avatar
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:04 am

The hot brown at Incredible Dave's is stunning!! Real mornay sauce.. bacon... fresh turkey... I am a fan of hot browns, and this thing blew me out of the water!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 am

Mark R. wrote:
John Burley wrote:Norma Jean's Trackside in La Grange is now serving a veggie hot brown as one of several dinner special menu items all priced under $10.

I wish places would quit giving the same name to different dishes! A "Hot Brown" is defined as a dish that has Turkey, bacon, toast and mornay sauce, changing ingredients radically make it a different dish! These dishes may be very good in their own respect but they're not a "Hot Brown".

In my opinion the same goes for Eggs Benedict when the ingredients are changed the Seaford or whatever and to Chili when it's not red or contains noodles.

When a traditional recipe is changed radically the name should also be changed to avoid confusion of the uninformed!

I agree. It's annoying. I'm all for innovation, but if you can think up a new dish, why can't you think up a new name for it? Certain dishes are very specific. Your example of Eggs Benedict is a good one.

My favorite Hot Brown locally is the one served at the Brown Hotel;s casual restaurant (I can't think of the name). I also like the Bristol's version.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:12 am

Jay M. wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I wish places would quit giving the same name to different dishes!....When a traditional recipe is changed radically the name should also be changed to avoid confusion of the uninformed!

Don't even get me started on "martini". :x

no kidding. It's almost to the point now where you can order a martini and get a beer in a martini glass.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 am

Ron Johnson wrote:no kidding. It's almost to the point now where you can order a martini and get a beer in a martini glass.

HEY! Beertinis are AWESOME!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am

Would someone mind explaining to me why, when a dish is an obvious variation on a standard, why a variation on the name is not acceptable? Why is "Not Brown" unacceptable? What is wrong with, to throw out another example, Kalamity Katie's Borders Benedict at Wild Eggs? I tend to think a name which doesn't acknowledge the origins would be somewhat dishonest as the dish isn't wholly original and doesn't really deserve an original name.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:29 am

Aaron Newton wrote:Would someone mind explaining to me why, when a dish is an obvious variation on a standard, why a variation on the name is not acceptable? Why is "Not Brown" unacceptable? What is wrong with, to throw out another example, Kalamity Katie's Borders Benedict at Wild Eggs? I tend to think a name which doesn't acknowledge the origins would be somewhat dishonest as the dish isn't wholly original and doesn't really deserve an original name.

I can't answer this question because I agree with you. ;)
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:32 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Aaron Newton wrote:Would someone mind explaining to me why, when a dish is an obvious variation on a standard, why a variation on the name is not acceptable? Why is "Not Brown" unacceptable? What is wrong with, to throw out another example, Kalamity Katie's Borders Benedict at Wild Eggs? I tend to think a name which doesn't acknowledge the origins would be somewhat dishonest as the dish isn't wholly original and doesn't really deserve an original name.

Thank God someone does! :D
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Thank God someone does! :D

I also agree to an extent if the complete original name isn't used. Of course the topic of Martinis has been included which is another matter entirely! 8)
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

by Ned Weatherby » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Man this is a tough crowd. I know that there are truly only original items out there but I do applaud people like John for uniques spin on them or Avalon for variations on classics. I.E. Vegetarian hot brown and lobster mac and cheese. The problem I think becomes with the naming of these unique items. I don't think it would be as appealing if it were named something other than a original version with a slightly different name. I don't think I would eat something called Toast with Veggies and Cheese sauce on it or lobster and cheese noodles. I have yet to try the vegetarian hot brown at NJ's but plan on it soon and will report back if someone doesn't beat me to it. In general I love the effort to make a twist on an original version of things and the naming is usually only used to evoke a general sense of what the meal is and trust me I love an original hot brown but always willing to give credit to those creating unique items.
Good Eats
Previous