Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hot Browns

no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Hot Browns

by Robin F. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:39 pm

2 questions:

1) Is there such thing as a vegetarian hot brown in town?

2) Where is the best hot brown (Other than the Brown Hotel)?

We have a new person at work and he's asking me food questions I can't answer. Ack!
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Three Suggestions

by jpdurbin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 pm

I liked the Hot Brown at Browning’s when Anoosh was there. I hope they keep the recipe.

I enjoy Bistro301’s HB.

Of course Lynn’s Paradise Brown is good.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:07 pm

2) Where is the best hot brown (Other than the Brown Hotel)?

Big Dave's!!!

A long time ago I had one at Danish Express, but I haven't been to their new store to try it.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:15 pm

I suspect the only vegetarian Hot Brown is at my house. Tofurky and soy bacon. mmmmmmm
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

by Wayde H » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm

If you are ever in Bardstown, Maywood Grill has an excellent version.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:02 pm

I haven't tried it, but Ramsey's in Lexington have vegetarian ones. Also, Alfalfa's in Lexington had them as a special once (though I didn't try it), but it doesn't appear to be on the regular menu.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am

jpdurbin wrote:I liked the Hot Brown at Browning’s when Anoosh was there. I hope they keep the recipe.

The Browning's Hot Brown hasn't changed and is still solid. My bride and I had lunch there on Monday. I ordered the HB for her and she wiped the plate clean!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Chris Hutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

louisville

by Chris Hutton » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:15 pm

I sometimes will make them for people. I do it with squash, Zuccini, assorted Bell Peppers, Aspargus on the top instead of Bacon and some prefer home grown tomamtoes.

Have not done it for awhile; Now I want one.
no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

by Sallie P. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Winston's has a "Not Brown" You can hold the bacon...the rest is seafood and fried green tomatoes. Wonderful!
no avatar
User

John Burley

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Hot Browns

by John Burley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Norma Jean's Trackside in La Grange is now serving a veggie hot brown as one of several dinner special menu items all priced under $10.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Yum John! Tell me more about it if possible.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Hot Browns

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:55 pm

John Burley wrote:Norma Jean's Trackside in La Grange is now serving a veggie hot brown as one of several dinner special menu items all priced under $10.

I wish places would quit giving the same name to different dishes! A "Hot Brown" is defined as a dish that has Turkey, bacon, toast and mornay sauce, changing ingredients radically make it a different dish! These dishes may be very good in their own respect but they're not a "Hot Brown".

In my opinion the same goes for Eggs Benedict when the ingredients are changed the Seaford or whatever and to Chili when it's not red or contains noodles.

When a traditional recipe is changed radically the name should also be changed to avoid confusion of the uninformed!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Or barbecue when it's served with sauce?

Or pizza when it's a double crust with sauce *on top*?

Or ... so many other examples of dish variations?

To a certain extent, I understand where you are coming from. But if a dish is directly based on a traditional recipe, and is still recognizably a variant on that recipe, I see nothing wrong with using the dish's original name as part of the new name. Saying "veggie hot brown" should be perfectly obvious what that entails, and that it isn't a true hot brown.

I think this is especially true in the case of vegetarian dishes made to resemble or based on traditional dishes which contain meat. But that's just my take on it. As long as they aren't passing their own version off as the original, I see no harm in it.

Some of the thigns you list though... I just have to chalk that up to regional variation. I don't think taking a bow of chili, and adding some noodles to it, radically changes the dish that it demands a completely new name.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:Or barbecue when it's served with sauce?

Or pizza when it's a double crust with sauce *on top*?

Or ... so many other examples of dish variations?

To a certain extent, I understand where you are coming from. But if a dish is directly based on a traditional recipe, and is still recognizably a variant on that recipe, I see nothing wrong with using the dish's original name as part of the new name. Saying "veggie hot brown" should be perfectly obvious what that entails, and that it isn't a true hot brown.

I think this is especially true in the case of vegetarian dishes made to resemble or based on traditional dishes which contain meat. But that's just my take on it. As long as they aren't passing their own version off as the original, I see no harm in it.

Some of the thigns you list though... I just have to chalk that up to regional variation. I don't think taking a bow of chili, and adding some noodles to it, radically changes the dish that it demands a completely new name.

If you look up Hot Brown or Eggs Benedict in a dictionary you get a description that includes only the ingredients found it in a traditional one, if you put in pizza or barbecue you get a much more generic definition that includes many variations. Actually my definition of Chili is a little more open than a dictionaries because the true definition says it only contains meat and peppers.

I do agree putting "Vegetarian" in front of the traditional name is acceptable in most cases but I think some of the radical changes to a traditional dish call for a new name.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Mark R. wrote:If you look up Hot Brown or Eggs Benedict in a dictionary you get a description that includes only the ingredients found it in a traditional one, if you put in pizza or barbecue you get a much more generic definition that includes many variations. Actually my definition of Chili is a little more open than a dictionaries because the true definition says it only contains meat and peppers.

I do agree putting "Vegetarian" in front of the traditional name is acceptable in most cases but I think some of the radical changes to a traditional dish call for a new name.

Heh, all I'm saying is that way back when those dishes were made a certain way and it was spoken, "This dish is named _____." But nothing stays exactly the same when it spreads. Invariably people decry these changes in a futile quest for purity. As long as it is recognizable as a variation on the definition, I think a parallel modification of the name is suitable. Dictionaries are a malleable record of the way people use words. Thank god chili isn't just "meat and chili peppers" now, because that sounds horrible.

But hey, since you agree with the "vegetarian" addition, then I'm not really sure why we're having this discussion, since that's the only instance of changing a defined dish that was present here. ^^;
Next