Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Perso gets the small things and the big things right

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:15 am

Perso gets the small things and the big things right

Built on beef shank rather than the traditional veal, Perso's ossobuco is intensely flavored, giftlike in its simplicity, and very good to eat.

One of the first things I noticed when I took my seat at a table in Perso was the high quality of the table itself: Burnished wood, smooth as silk, it reminded me of the work of Shaker artisans.

Then I unrolled the black cloth napkin and noticed something unusual about the quality stainless flatware: Every surface was mirror-shiny, without a single dishwasher spot in sight, almost as if each piece had been wiped clean by hand before service.

And speaking of service, that was great too: Friendly but not smarmy, attentive but not bothersome, there when we needed them, good with eye contact and a smile.

So what, you say? How about the food? Chef-owner Emil David’s creative, chef-driven, Italian-accented cuisine is remarkably good. We’ll get to that. But seeing those other, seemingly smaller signals of attentiveness and care from the moment we sat down signaled management that cares, a level of care that permeates the entire Perso dining experience.

A relatively new addition, Perso got its start in the pandemic autumn if 2021 as Square Cut, a pizzeria with a Roman twist that landed in Shelby Park after two years as a popular food truck. Its Roman-style pies were popular with their squarish hand-formed construction, thin but relatively crisp, loaded with toppings and cheese. Then Chef David started featuring special dishes with farm-to-table ingredients and chef-driven flourishes. By early in 2023 the evolution from Square Cut to Perso was complete.

There is a unified aesthetic to Perso’s space in this attractive two-story 19th century red-brick building: The style, the decor, the attractive tableware, the mood, and the cuisine are classically simple yet highlighted with unexpected flourishes; all of very good quality.

The menu continues its farm-to-table ethos with a bill of fare that changes with the seasons but always includes house-made charcuterie and breads, craft cocktails and a thoughtful bar program, and, of course, Roman-style pizza.

This is not cheap eats, but pricing is reasonable and fair. ...

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes:
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/pers ... ings-right

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section this week:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Perso
741 E. Oak St.
290-5721
nttps://persorestaurant.com
nttps://facebook.com/persorestaurant
nttps://instagram.com/persorestaurant

Noise Level: When this modest-size room is full, the sound definitely rises, with average sound levels ranging from 74.2dB to 77.2dB on repeated checks, with only rare peaks into the 80dB range; but the high ceiling and an acoustically helpful wall of wooden slats seemed to help. Conversation was always possible.

Accessibility: The restaurant and restrooms appear accessible to unassisted wheelchair users. Tables are fairly closely spaced, but easily moved, and a wide walkway through the room was available.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Perso gets the small things and the big things right

by Heather L » Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:59 am

Finally got to try Perso recently and loved it! I think the Prix Fixe option is a great deal and I look forward to going back for the chef's table for a special occasion. Honestly, I would be happy just sharing a bunch of veg/starters as a meal. Bread is amazing.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Perso gets the small things and the big things right

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:11 pm

All of the above, Heather! Perso really turns Shelby Park into another fine-dining landmark.