Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

Need suggestions for "Bar Hopping"and Route

by Jim Greenbrier » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Have young couple visiting The Ville for the first time....They are mid-30 s and have asked for suggestions.

Locale makes no difference, but they will be staying in Prospect.

Thanks in advance,

JJG III
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Bambi Run!!!

by jpdurbin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Bambi Run!!! Basically Bardstown road south to north.

G/L
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 pm

I'd point them toward Bardstown Road. If they are going to be driving themselves, send them this route. Not the quickest, but probably the most simple.

Hwy 42 South to Waterson (I-264)
West on I-264 about six miles to the Bardstown Road exit.
Go north on Bardstown Rd about 2.5 miles.
When they come to the intersection of Bardstown Rd. & Eastern Pkwy, start looking around as they continue on Bardstown Rd. They will start seeing lots of bars & restaurants.

I'd suggest they stop at Molly Malone's and have a cocktail and walk to the surrounding bars from there. (Molly Malone's will be on the right -- about another mile)
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

It depends. Upscale? Middle of the road? Dives? Their socio-economic group and preferences would make a big difference in any suggestions.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 pm

Being not too far removed from my mid 30s, I can say the Molly Malone's / Flanagan's / O'Sheas area of Bardstown road is a good bet.

As is the St. Mathews bar corner (Shelbyville & Breckenridge).

Socio-economic grouping and preferences for live music / dancing etc. would definitely be helpful.
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bar Hopping...Suggestions

by Jim Greenbrier » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Again,

Initially, I d like to thank those that responded.....

Now, to answer some of the questions posed by perhaps indicating the young couple s backgrounds. This would let you decide.:

Socio-Economic- The people are actually my Son and Daughter in Law. Both are graduates of William of Mary College. Both have advanced degree s including an MD. Their 'genes' are both Scot- Irish... :)

However, they would enjoy any interesting type establishment. E.G., Irish Bars(as mentioned) to Country/Bluegrass Live Music. A good "Dive" is always fun!

The main thing is to show off the variety and fun Louisville affords. Should 4th Street Live be considered??....or, avoided ??

Thanks again in advance..

Jim Greenbrier
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 am

When will they be in town? Sorry if I missed that part. I would be more likely to find out when they will be here and then try to find some good live music to point them to.

Personally, I'm 35, and would avoid 4th Street and the typical Baxter Ave corridor like the plague. But I am more into good food/beer/and live music.

Last time I was around O'Sheas/Molly Malones on a weekend night it looked like a college greek free for all.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:55 am

Jim,
If your kin will be in the area on Saturday Night we are having a great band playing at the Westport General Store. I know you were looking for a variety but the food and music are great and we are close to Prospect.
for reservations 502 222 4626
for directions http://www.westportgeneralstore.com

do not use mapquest or google maps. They send you to the wrong place.

dozens of dollars 6:30 to close Saturday Feb 16th.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:28 pm

For me, it depends on the weather. In the Summer, I don't mind walking the corridor from Bardstown to Baxter, but in winter, it sucks.

Fourth Street definitely has its place, not to mention, much of it is enclosed. I, myself, am in my early thirties, and I LOVE Fourth Street, for pure, unadulterated fun, and there are plenty of people in my age group there. I like the overall diversity of the clubs, plus the fact that they are all under one roof, which is great when you've been imbibing!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:49 pm

I think it's a "tough" town to bar hop for the mature over 35 crowd. Most places simply become "meet markets" after 9:00 or so and the mix gets very young. Brendans in St Matthews often has a good mix as does BBC right next door. Bourbons Bistro is worth a try. Molly Malones can be ok but more often, like mentioned earlier, is a college crowd as are most of the Baxter Ave pubs. Some off the wall places for local flavor might be Big Daves on Bardstown (hit and miss but not usually young) or Shenanigans on Norris. 4th Street gets young and crazy but is worth a look see especially the Pub and Makers Mark.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Jim,

I read back through the posts, but I didn't see what dates they will be in town. Let us know and I'm sure you'll get some more specific suggestions for live music etc.

Some of my favorite dives with live music include: Seidenfaden's, Dark Star, Highland Tap Room and Third Street Dive. But it really just depends upon who's playing on a given night. All the places I mentioned have pool tables if that's of any interest.

Oops! Forgot to mention The Pour Haus.
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Time of Bar Hopping Time.... Time is this Weekend !

by Jim Greenbrier » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:14 pm

..thanks for asking....
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:06 am

This link will show you many/most of the upcoming shows in the Louisville area:

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall. ... Y&Market=Y

As for a pub crawl, I vote for the Molly/Flannigan's area.
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:44 am

as for good beer, NACHBAR.

they have a ton of good beers, on tap and in bottles. bell's hopslam is on tap right now and it is delicious. most of the beers are in the 4-5 dollar range. mixed drinks are cheap AND STRONG. no cover. tight jukebox.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Highlands/Germantown

by Brad Keeton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I don't think you can really go wrong with the Bardstown Rd./Baxter Ave. scene, but, for mid-30's, O'Shea's/Flanagan's may be a bit of a younger crowd (seems to get "frattier" each time I go on the weekends). Molly Malone's/Outlook Inn would be a good tangent in that area, though. Further away from downtown, a beer at Cumberland Brews is always a good idea, and cocktails at Lounge A (below Asiatique) is usually fun.

Also, can't go wrong with Pour Haus and Nach Bar in Germantown. Great places, and good crowd.

Of course they shouldn't leave town without some jazz and a great bourbon drink at the Old Seelbach Bar.
Next