Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hot Chocolate and Beer!

no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

Hot Chocolate and Beer!

by Hank Sutton » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:38 pm

For unlikely dessert, try Hot Chocolate and Beer
By Diane Rossen Worthington
Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In San Francisco, while on the road promoting my book "Seriously Simple Holidays" (Chronicle Books, $24.95), I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental, where I was lucky enough to dine at its fine restaurant, Silks. I could go on about all of the delicious dishes I sampled, but what really got my attention was a most unusual dessert: a shot glass of ice cold dark German beer (Koestritzer) placed beside a tiny espresso cup of hot chocolate topped -- if you can believe it -- with Snickers-laced whipped cream. This dessert was presented on a small white rectangular platter and was amazing.

And now, the rest of the story :wink:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/s_552024.html
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

two of my favorite things!

by Nora Boyle » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:55 pm

When L&N had beer on tap we loved the combinations of chocolate flourless torte w/ dark german beer. Of course yours is a much more decadent & modern take on that. Sounds magnificent!
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:09 pm

A really good beer combination similiar to what you speak of that I had earlier this year at Rich O's was the Kasteel Rouge and Rogue Chocolate Stout.... made a Chocolate Covered Cherry....
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Add coffee

by Dan L. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:11 pm

I substituted the BBC Heine Brothers Coffee Stout for Guinness in the Irish Rover's Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe from Louisville Originals. We found it to be a fantastic combination.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Add coffee

by Gretchen D. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 am

Dan L. wrote:I substituted the BBC Heine Brothers Coffee Stout for Guinness in the Irish Rover's Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe from Louisville Originals. We found it to be a fantastic combination.

Could you post a link to this recipe, please!?!