Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Memory Lane! Would those old favorites still thrive today?

by Robin Garr » Tue May 07, 2024 4:26 pm

We haven't talked about gone-but-not-forgotten Louisville restaurants for a while. Tell us your favorites! Do you think they would still thrive on the 2024 dining scene? Why or why not?

OldHouse-FilsonSM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Memory Lane! Would those old favorites still thrive toda

by Mike L » Tue May 07, 2024 7:30 pm

This reminds me... When I was a kid in the 80s we used to go to a sit down restaurant at Oxmoor. There was a bakery right next door. I think it might have been in the place where the Panera used to be. Does anyone remember it? And the name of the restaurant?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2024 8:32 am

Mike L wrote:This reminds me... When I was a kid in the 80s we used to go to a sit down restaurant at Oxmoor. There was a bakery right next door. I think it might have been in the place where the Panera used to be. Does anyone remember it? And the name of the restaurant?

Mike, I'm combing through the dark recesses of my brain, but not having much luck coming up with a sit-down restaurant, other than the tables in the food court. Or Blue Boar! But that was at the St. Matthews Mall, wasn't it? Or could you be thinking of Farrell's Ice Cream? It did have its own sit-down area, although desserts-only as far as I know.
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Wed May 08, 2024 8:42 am

Blue Boar was down by what is now Macy's. . . . I used to go there on my lunch breaks when I worked at Wicks n Sticks. . . .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2024 8:43 am

Lora S wrote:Blue Boar was down by what is now Macy's. . . . I used to go there on my lunch breaks when I worked at Wicks n Sticks. . . .

My best memory of that Blue Boar was of Colonel Sanders and his wife rolling up for Sunday lunch there just about every week, disembarking from his white Rolls-Royce with his logo image on the doors.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike L » Thu May 09, 2024 1:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike L wrote:This reminds me... When I was a kid in the 80s we used to go to a sit down restaurant at Oxmoor. There was a bakery right next door. I think it might have been in the place where the Panera used to be. Does anyone remember it? And the name of the restaurant?

Mike, I'm combing through the dark recesses of my brain, but not having much luck coming up with a sit-down restaurant, other than the tables in the food court. Or Blue Boar! But that was at the St. Matthews Mall, wasn't it? Or could you be thinking of Farrell's Ice Cream? It did have its own sit-down area, although desserts-only as far as I know.

Thanks for the response Robin. It wasn't Blue Boar or Farrell's. Unless I'm totally misremembering, it was located either directly across from where California Pizza Kitchen is now, or maybe at the entrance next to the Cheesecake factory. It was in one of those long veiny hallways, at the very end, first place you'd see after coming in from parking. It was a sit down restaurant, serving American food, in a smallish space. We used to eat there, then if my Dad was in a good mood we'd walk over to the small bakery next door and get a big chocolate chip cookie.

Unless someone chimes in, I guess it's forgotten to time!
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 am

Mike L wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Thanks for the response Robin. It wasn't Blue Boar or Farrell's. Unless I'm totally misremembering, it was located either directly across from where California Pizza Kitchen is now, or maybe at the entrance next to the Cheesecake factory. It was in one of those long veiny hallways, at the very end, first place you'd see after coming in from parking. It was a sit down restaurant, serving American food, in a smallish space. We used to eat there, then if my Dad was in a good mood we'd walk over to the small bakery next door and get a big chocolate chip cookie.

Unless someone chimes in, I guess it's forgotten to time!

Store listing from 1978 - any of these names ring a bell? https://pin.it/2KDW5wErj
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike L » Sat May 11, 2024 4:32 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting this, I think it indirectly got me there. When I looked at your list, Tiffany's Bakery rang a bell. I'm guessing that was the name of the bakery that was next door to the restaurant I was trying to remember. When I googled Tiffany's Bakery, I found a thread on another forum talking about old stores at Louisville malls, and someone randomly mentioned WC Karem's. That rang a bell. I think that has to be the restaurant I was trying to remember. It just sounds so familiar. I don't remember much else about the restaurant though!

Thanks again for helping me track that down.

Mike
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon May 13, 2024 5:30 pm

Just pointing out that CPK is in Oxmoor and the Cheesecake Factory is in MSM.