Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Earlybird Bagel Shop/Barry Bagels

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Earlybird Bagel Shop/Barry Bagels

by Rich S » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Louisville is getting more bagel options.

Earlybird Bagel Shop opened about a month ago at 1039 Ash St. near Germantown, where it shares space with Six Forks Burger Co. I haven’t tried it yet, but its bagels look interesting, including the cacio e pepe and cinnamon streusel varieties.

https://www.earlybirdbagelshop.com/

And Barry Bagels plans to open later this year at 4123 Oechsli Ave. in St. Matthews (near the old Sears store, as people say). Barry Bagels is a family-owned chain that has operated for decades in Ohio and Michigan. This will be its first Louisville location, but it plans to open more in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/BarryBagels/po ... 7Re9oKfgml
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Earlybird Bagel Shop/Barry Bagels

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Mmmm, bagels! I'm a pretty harsh judge, having learned bagels as a teen-ager in NYC back in the Jurassic Era and then having gotten close to the source again during four years living there in the '90s. This is why I could never warm up to Louisville bagels (particularly N*ncy's). But I'm always willing to give a new place a try!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:28 pm

I'm glad somebody else doesn't like N*ncy's bagels, everybody was raving about them on the 1st opened but I've never seen anything spectacular there! Hopefully some of these new ones will be much better!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed May 01, 2024 2:03 pm

And yet again we living in the hinterlands get left out. :cry:

Much like you inner circle dwellers rarely venture outside the Watterson, we burbanites rarely venture inside the Watterson. The only exception for us is for boba tea.

The only independent bagel shop I know of out here in the wilds is Born2Bagel. Has anyone tried that? The reviews seem to indicate they are New York bagels.

The other problem is that bagel shops close early, and I can rarely get my fiance out of bed early enough to get there before closing. The upside is he's been to NYC and had their bagels so he knows what they're supposed to be.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 01, 2024 5:06 pm

Terri Beam wrote:The only independent bagel shop I know of out here in the wilds is Born2Bagel. Has anyone tried that? The reviews seem to indicate they are New York bagels.

Me! Me! :mrgreen:

https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/born ... lox-bialys
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu May 02, 2024 11:36 am

FWIW, I have quite enjoyed both the zaatar and the everything bagels from Earlybird. The bialys are a lot of fun, too! This place is a very nice addition to the neighborhood and to the food/bakery scene.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed May 08, 2024 10:57 am

Super excited about the bagel shop!! I was hoping for a restaurant to open in that new building, and the earlier possibilities never materialized! A bagel place is perfect, since I'd been missing Heine Bros. there on the corner of Thierman/Shelbyville (Papa Johns in apparently taking over that part of the building, which recently was a math place, according to the staff member I spoke to)!!