Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cheap eats, good eats, why pay more?

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:19 am

Three hefty tacos at El Mariachi, one of our critic's favorite taquerias.

A couple of weeks ago I devoted this space to a conversation about some of our town’s finest places to go for a special-occasion $200-plus blowout. I heard plenty of favorable comment from folks who filed the information for the next birthday or anniversary feast.

A few of you, though, appropriately cautioned me about this slide into territory usually occupied by oligarchs, day traders, and hedge-fund managers.

“We have trouble enjoying a dinner tab (before tip) for the two of us when it tops $100ish,” said my friend Tom. “We prefer to dine a little more casually and with moderate bills.” Dining on a budget makes it possible to dine out more often, he said.

My friend Ed offered similar counsel. “I know I can throw money at things and get what I want,” he said. “But I find it way more interesting to get what I want with out throwing money at it.

“It's not that I can't afford $200 for a dining experience in a renowned restaurant, it's that I don't want to throw $200 for it. It's much more rewarding to find the same quality or better for much less. … Dining is more about the people I'm with than the place. Give me an environment where I can have some great conversation, and I am happy.”

Me too, Ed and Tom. Me too. Last year I reviewed 26 local restaurants – one every other week – and, according to my tax records, spent about $1,600 for those culinary delights. That’s about a $60 average cost for a meal excluding tips, which would add another 20 to 25 percent. Individual dinner prices for two ranged from $26.46 plus tip at El Mariachi Restaurante Mexicano to $152.64 plus tip at Anoosh Bistro.

Whoa! That’s more than I expected, and it’s just about enough to have my expenses bumping up mighty close to my income. I had better start thinking more seriously about good cheap eats, too.

But what constitutes cheap, much less “good and cheap? I would have said $30 for two, up from $20 just a few years ago. But those tax records tell another tale. That delicious Mexican lunch at El Mariachi was the only review meal of 2023 that cost me less than $30. Add a reasonable tip, and my list of under-$30 meals for the years falls to zero.

Relief for the thrifty isn’t likely coming soon. Although Nation’s Restaurant News reported on March 12 that restaurant price inflation showed some signs of cooling in February, it went on to glumly forecast that the improvement will likely be short-lived.

So let’s review: When we speak of cheap eats nowadays, we’re talking about a restaurant meal for two, barring the occasional outlier, ringing up a $30 to $40 tab? Based on my experience, I’m afraid so.

But we do what we can. Here, listed alphabetically, are some specific recommendations for good local restaurants that won’t break the bank. I’m sure you’ve got more. Hit me up on social media or via email with your nominations.

Diners, drive-ins, and dives

Check’s Cafe (1101 E. Burnett Ave., (637-9515)

Granville Pub (1601 S. Third St., 636-2748)

Hillcrest Tavern (3212 Frankfort Ave., 290-6917), and its siblings and cousins Burger Boy, Burger Girl, and Old Louisville Tavern.

Morris Deli (2228 Taylorsville Road, 458-1668)

O’Dolly’s Lounge and Restaurant (7800 3rd Street Road, 375-1690)

Ollie’s Trolley (978 S. Third St., 583-5214)

Shady Lane Café (4806 Brownsboro Center, 893-5118)

Toasty’s Tavern (1258 S. Shelby St., 614-7094)

Wagner’s Pharmacy (3113 S. 4th St., 375-3800)

World Food

District 6  Gastropub (3930 Shelbyville Road, 873-5561)

Eatz Vietnamese (2244 Frankfort Ave., 785-4450)

El Mariachi (9901 Lagrange Road, 413-5770)

El Molcajete (2932 S. 4th St., 638-0300)

Heart & Soy (1216 Bardstown Road, 452-6678)

Irish Rover (2319 Frankfort Ave., 899-3544)

Kathmandu Kitchen (3825 Bardstown Road, 202-1481)

Koreana III (5009 Preston Highway, 968-9686)

NamNam Café (318 Wallace Ave., 891-8859)

Noosh Nosh (4816 Brownsboro Center, 205-2888)

Oriental House (4302 Shelbyville Road, 897-1017)

Oskar’s Slider Bar (3799 Poplar Level Road, 395-9010)

Time 4 Thai (2206 Frankfort Ave., 996-7899)

Thai Noodles (5800 Preston Hwy., 961-9018)

Vietnam Kitchen (5339 Mitscher Ave., 363-7535)

Vin Bun Vietnamese Bistro (12422 Shelbyville Road, 708-1470)

On the Dock of the Bay

The Fish House (1310 Winter Ave., 568-2993)

The Fishery (3624 Lexington Road, 895-1188)

Pass Time Fish House (10801 Locust Road, 267-4633)

Sharks Seafood (3099 Breckenridge Lane)

One of a Kind

The Table (1800 Portland Ave. 708-2505)

Pizza!

I’m reluctant to get into a battle over who’s best. Maybe another day. Just pick your favorite, order a slice or a whole pie and a brew, and it’s not going to break the bank.

Cost-saving measures

Even some of the places on this list can mount up to the $50 or $60 range without much effort. Here are a few strategies I’ve found, and used shamelessly, to dine happily and not risk the mortgage.

• Split and share. No one is going to call you a cheapskate for sharing an appetizer or a dessert. Or both! Order one entree and a couple of apps rather than two pricey entrees.

• Save on drinks. I enjoy a nice wine with my meal as much as anyone, but I’m willing to go with water, or a shared bottle from the modest end of the list, in order to save.

• Take some home. To be fair, even in a time of rising prices, most restaurant dishes come in more than generous portions. It’s easy enough, and probably better for us, to eat our fill and call for a carryout box for the rest. Two meals for the price of one? Yes, please!

And finally …

Please do not forget to tip, and tip well, with 20 percent as a floor, not a ceiling. Servers work hard to please you, and even with gradually rising pay rates, they are overworked and underpaid. This is not a place for us to cut costs.

Read my full report on LouisvilleHotBytes:
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/cheap-eats-good-eats

You'll also find this report in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section this week:
https://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Cheap eats, good eats, why pay more?

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:22 pm

I'm surprised you didn't mention another of your favorite tricks to reduce cost, especially when eating at places that are potentially pricey: Go for lunch instead of dinner. Usually smaller portions but most of the time a better bang for the buck. I also find that lunch specials are more likely to feature reduced prices, like a free side, while dinner specials are often just a kitchen trying to get rid of surplus food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:24 pm

Dang! You're right! I should have mentioned that. Thanks for adding to the discussion, Steve.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:35 pm

Gorilla Bob's!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:23 pm

Gary, I need to check out Gorilla Bob's one of these days! I wonder if he gets his food from Jungle Jim's! :lol:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:13 pm

Sam's Giros

Sam's is located in the Kroger plaza across from the Cardinal Football and Baseball Stadiums. It is run by an Egyptian who makes sure you don't leave hungry but with money still in your pocket. Its as good of a price to volume and quality that I've found around town for that type of food.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:38 am

I'll second Sam's. They really overstuff the container. I meant to order the gyros sandwich but mistakenly ordered the platter and I swear that box felt like it weighed five pounds. My wife's sandwich was also huge, too big to easily eat actually.
While I'm here let me throw a plug in for Safier. We went this weekend for the first time in years and we were thrilled to discover nothing has changed. Still the best shawarma sandwich in town (chicken or beef) and only $7.50. You can also pick up a pint of pickles for two bucks and some of the creamiest hummus ever for six.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:19 am

Now on my radar!
no avatar
User

Mark Mg

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 am

by Mark Mg » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 am

Love the article, but aren't there any places in southern Indiana that make the cut?

I have no problem going over to Louisville for lunch - do it all the time. But, with all the construction and repairs going on now, it's just more hassle than I want to deal with. Tolls have to be added to the total cost of the meal.

Thanks!

- Mark
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Mark Mg wrote:Love the article, but aren't there any places in southern Indiana that make the cut?

I have no problem going over to Louisville for lunch - do it all the time. But, with all the construction and repairs going on now, it's just more hassle than I want to deal with. Tolls have to be added to the total cost of the meal.

Thanks!

- Mark

La Lupita in Clarksville certainly checks all the boxes. One of my favorite Mexican places in the area. The entomatadas are fantastic, and that's a dish I've rarely encountered this side of the river.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

Mark, you’re right. Tunnel vision, I guess. I even have a riverlink transponder on my windshield and know how to use it. You’ve given me a good idea for a future column though! Stay tuned

Also, I agree with Steve about La Lupita.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

Vic’s Cafe and Get it on a Bun at Booty’s are 2 places in New Albany, IN that are worthy of a mention. Two very unassuming places to eat, but the food is solid and u definitely won’t break the bank. No reason to dress up. Vic’s is part bar/part restaurant, and they still allow smoking in the bar side, which might be a turn off to many. It’s oftentimes packed for lunch. It’ll take u back to a simpler time, if only for an hour or so. Get it on a Bun at Booty’s is just good food at an honest price. Probably a better place to grab lunch.

There are other decent places north of the river, these two are just a little quirky w solid grub….

Steve Eslinger wrote:
Mark Mg wrote:Love the article, but aren't there any places in southern Indiana that make the cut?

Thanks!

- Mark

La Lupita in Clarksville certainly checks all the boxes. One of my favorite Mexican places in the area. The entomatadas are fantastic, and that's a dish I've rarely encountered this side of the river.
BShep
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

Vic’s Cafe and Get it on a Bun at Booty’s are 2 places in New Albany, IN that are worthy of a mention. Two very unassuming places to eat, but the food is solid and u definitely won’t break the bank. No reason to dress up.

Good advice. Thanks!