Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fern Creek Coffee Wars

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Fern Creek Coffee Wars

by Terri Beam » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:52 pm

After being ignored by the behemoth that is Starbucks for years, Fern Creek now has its own coffee war.

Of course, Starby's showed up first in Cedar Creek Crossing. Then Tiny Heine (Brothers) opened a drive-through only spot directly across the street.

In the past couple weeks I noticed that 7 Brew is building a location of their drive-through only business maybe 100 feet or less from Tiny Heine (don't blame me for calling it thus; that's what the employees call it when one enters the drive through, "Welcome to Tiny Heine!").

Out of all the available land in Fern Creek, 7 Brew HAD to pick that spot? Why? Was it cheaper than a space in Southpointe Commons? Were they tired of waiting for the development to begin construction across from Southpointe Commons? Seriously, commercial developments have a weird history in the Creek. I don't even want to know what's going to happen on Hurstbourne at South Watterson Trail. Where the new homes and apartments are going in will have commercial zoning in front of them.

I wouldn't make a left hand turn out of either of those during rush hours (to go southbound on Bardstown Road) if you paid me $100 a visit. Even making a right turn can be dicey when traffic is busy because that third lane northbound is the feeder lane to the Snyder.

Thoughts?
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Fern Creek Coffee Wars

by Rich S » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:21 pm

Terri Beam wrote:In the past couple weeks I noticed that 7 Brew is building a location of their drive-through only business maybe 100 feet or less from Tiny Heine (don't blame me for calling it thus; that's what the employees call it when one enters the drive through, "Welcome to Tiny Heine!").

Out of all the available land in Fern Creek, 7 Brew HAD to pick that spot?

7 Brew may like being close to other coffee shops. The one in Middletown is across the street from Starbucks, and the one they're building in St. Matthews is a block from Heine Brothers.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Fern Creek Coffee Wars

by James Natsis » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:52 pm

Although Panera Bread is not a cafe per se, it was the first to arrive. So Heine Bros Jr, 7 Brew, and Panera are all 3 lined up one next to the other with Starbucks across the street.

And yes, the traffic in brutal since the Mt Washington folks have no other way in or out apart from going all the way across to I-65. And lucky us, they are piling up more residences in the immediate Bardstown-Gene Snyder area.
James J. Natsis