Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Chefs McGarity, Weeks are James Beard semifinalists

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:22 pm

Warm congratulations to two Louisville chefs who have earned nominations as Restaurant and Chef Awards semifinalists for the 2024 James Beard Awards.

Best Chef Southeast: Dallas McGarity, The Fat Lamb, Louisville
Emerging Chef: Lawrence Weeks, North of Bourbon, Louisville

Finalists will be announced on Wednesday, April 3, and winners will be announced at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Ceremony on Monday, June 10 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

The full national list of semifinalists is here:
https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-202 ... ifinalists
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Chefs McGarity, Weeks are James Beard semifinalists

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:29 pm

Robin,
How do chefs qualify for these nominations? Can you educate folks like me who have heard of the prestigious award, but have no idea how the system works. How do these folks stand out?

Thanks
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:46 am

James Natsis wrote:Robin,
How do chefs qualify for these nominations? Can you educate folks like me who have heard of the prestigious award, but have no idea how the system works. How do these folks stand out?

Thanks

I can speak to that a little, as I was a judge for the Louisville area for a few years. Basically, they reach out to food writers, food PR people and such all over the country and invite them to make nominations along with a paragraph or two explaining the pick. Sort of like the NCAA finals, nominations bubble up from local to regional to national with Beard Foundation staffers making final calls until they boil it down to the semifinals.

Everyone works independently - there's no communication among judges, and they don't even tell us who our local confreres are = but I did pick up some gossip that Louisville had a smelly reputation for a while because some PR-adjacent judges were pushing their clients rather than making disinterested nominations. I feared that our poor showing some years might have had to do with that, but to be fair, that was intuition based on gossip and nothing official.

Anyway, it's kind of a messy process, but to its credit, it is bottom-up and based on local input, for better or worse.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:47 pm

Thanks Robin. That was helpful.
James J. Natsis