Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Cheddar Box- Chenoweth Square

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

The Cheddar Box- Chenoweth Square

by MarieP » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:50 am

I noticed a discrepancy on the Cheddar Box (Chenoweth) website regarding their hours (do they now close at 4 or 6?), so I looked them up on Facebook, and I saw that someone had posted that they are closing this week! Cheddar Box Too ( across the parking lot) and The Cheddar Box Cafe (Middletown) aren't affected, supposedly and hopefully-- I know the Middletown one is owned by someone else. Can anyone confirm this?? People were commenting on how much they'll miss the cheese torte, but I've always had the one from Middletown, and they are famous for theirs too! I sometimes would go to the one in Chenoweth to pick up tasty things for dinner and more often to get a piece of Italian Cream Cake or chocolate chess pie. Their orange iced tea was always so refreshing. I heard that they'd stopped having slices of cake and pie for sale, so I hadn't been there that recently.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Cheddar Box- Chenoweth Square

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 am

Oh, that's too bad! It was a nice place, where I went maybe every three or four years. :(

Marie, as I recall, the Middletown shop is separate, sold by the original owner, while the two properties in Chenoweth Square have the same (original) owner. I could be proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but that's how I remember it.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 pm

Apparently it is confirmed that the Cheddar Box in Chenoweth Square is closing. The owner of the Cheddar Box Cafe in Middletown posted about it on Facebook. The Cheddar Box, Cheddar Box Too and Cheddar Box Cafe all have different owners; the cafe and Cheddar Box Too will both remain open.

https://www.facebook.com/cheddarboxcafe/
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:36 am

And the Courier Journal talked to the Cheddar Box owner:

Nancy Tarrant, who opened The Cheddar Box in 1979, said she closed the deli because she felt she was ready to retire.
“I think it was time,” Tarrant, 83, said. “I’m tired.” ...

Tarrant said she will miss her customers and the 12 employees that worked for the Cheddar Box.
“We had the most loyal customers,” Tarrant said. “I always loved when they brought in their children with them.”
Tarrant said Elderberry Provisions, a caterer and baker based in Louisville, will move in to her longtime storefront once some equipment is moved out.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 387700007/
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:13 am

Ooooh! A bakery/caterer with a name like Elderberry Provisions sounds delightful!! Hopefully it is a human caterer/bakery and not a dog one though! :lol:

Seriously, I just found their website:

https://www.elderberryprovisions.com/

The Elderberry part is in honor of the owner’s parents’ - it was their street address. I’m scratching my head at $55 for a pie?? Hopefully they’re gigantic!

Their pies sound good
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 am

MarieP wrote:I’m scratching my head at $55 for a pie?? Hopefully they’re gigantic!

Their pies sound good

:shock:

Catering, so pricey, and surely intended to feed a crowd, but still!

However, I did have to chuckle at their snarkiness on this delicacy:

FIRST SATURDAY IN MAY PIE
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:46 am

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote:I’m scratching my head at $55 for a pie?? Hopefully they’re gigantic!

Their pies sound good

:shock:

Catering, so pricey, and surely intended to feed a crowd, but still!

However, I did have to chuckle at their snarkiness on this delicacy:

FIRST SATURDAY IN MAY PIE

Indeed! I've seen one named "The Day in May the Horses Run Pie" (I think it was Vince Staten's? They also had "I Fought the Slaw and the Slaw Won"...)