Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Banish the winter chill with warming pho at Eatz

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:16 am

Banish the winter chill with warming pho at Eatz

Bun thit nuong, a hearty South Vietnamese rice-noodle dish, is available with tofu (pictured) or, in its traditional form, grilled pork loin, tossed with salad fixings and crushed peanuts.

Vietnam is a tropical country, mostly. In its southern reaches, around Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) and the Mekong Delta, it’s searing hot and sopping humid virtually all year.

So how did a country so torrid give birth to pho, that aromatic, beefy soup-as-entree that’s delicious all year ‘round but lovably warming during winter’s icy blasts?

We could go all nerdy and talk about research showing that hot soups (and fiery spices, too) actually have a cooling effect on hot days. This must be true. I read it on the Internet.

But it’s not summer now. It’s cold, and I don’t need any sciencing to persuade me that a steaming bowl of hearty soup, be it senate bean or French onion or, well, pho, will impart warm comfort on a chilly day.

There’s plenty of good pho to be had among Louisville’s many fine Vietnamese eateries, but Eatz Vietnamese won the nod this time for two good reasons: First, I love its pho. Second, just as important, I haven’t checked out Eatz’s current quarters. It moved in 2022 from a tiny venue on the edge of Germantown to a larger space in Clifton, the former home of Fork & Barrel and, before that, Basa Modern Vietnamese.

The layout of the long narrow room hasn’t changed much through its iterations, and even the sturdy wood-look tables and metal chairs look familiar. Freshly painted white walls and colorful abstract art have brightened the space, though. It’s an attractive place to dine, and the food is good.

The menu is similar to that at the previous location, with reasonable inflation-based price increases since my last visit to the Germantown shop in 2021. ...

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes:
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/warming-pho-eatz

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section this week:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Eatz Vietnamese
2244 Frankfort Ave.
785-4450
eatzvietnameseky.com
facebook.com/eatzvietnamese

Noise Level: With the room about half-filled and soft music on the sound system, the average sound level was 63.9dB, no barrier to normal conversation.

Accessibility: The front door is up two tall steps, but there's wheelchair access from the parking area behind the building. The dining area and restrooms appear fully accessible.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Banish the winter chill with warming pho at Eatz

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:16 pm

I'm glad to read that they are still going strong. I haven't been there in quite some time. But I do recall being quite impressed with their pho. That picture looks pretty darn good as well!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:21 am

James Natsis wrote:I'm glad to read that they are still going strong. I haven't been there in quite some time. But I do recall being quite impressed with their pho. That picture looks pretty darn good as well!

Yeah, even with stiff competition from some of the other Vietnamese spots, Eatz' pho has always stood out in my mind. I didn't lea with a pho image because it looks so much like the one I used for my last review of the former location, but just for your enjoyment, here's a look at what we had last week ...

Eatz_phoWP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:40 pm

I also think they have the richest broth in town. You can tell just by the color. I need to get over there sometime soon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 am

It's good for sure. They describe it as 24-hour bone broth ...