Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mulligan's Glenmary

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Mulligan's Glenmary

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:00 pm

I finally stopped by this place recently to check it out.

I didn't have a chance to eat, but the menu seemed to be a typical pub-centric lineup with the usual fare---nothing bad or exceptionally exciting.

The place itself has to be the best outdoor setting in south Louisville, or at least near Fern Creek. The deck and overall outside setting is vast and there is a sand volleyball court as well as some green slabs either for bocci or putt-putt. You can't go wrong if you want to entertain a few guests outdoors over a few brewskies!

The inside dining hall is open and roomy. The bar is located in the same open space. There is a banquet room in the back with some outside seating along the outskirts of the banquet area. Robert "un poco loco" Kennedy Jr held court there some months ago when he slipped into Louisville for a political gathering. I understand that the place was full.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend traversing the city to get there. But for anyone within decent range, and especially if they want to enjoy outdoor seating within a comfortable, open suburban setting, it would be well worth visiting. The place has some character and it was long overdue. It had sadly sat empty for about 8 years or so. I think it will rock n roll during the warm months!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mulligan's Glenmary

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:06 am

Thanks for the report. Noted for summertime!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the report. Noted for summertime!

Note as well that it is located south of the Gene Snyder--visa required along with your passport!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:16 am

So, is it in Bullitt, Spencer, or Nelson? :lol:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:So, is it in Bullitt, Spencer, or Nelson? :lol:

Naw, its still in Jefferson. But once one makes a left out of Glenmary, it becomes pretty darn rural. That is actually a good thing since the south entrance into the majestic Parklands of Floyds Fork is just a few miles down Bardstown Rd.

That stretch of park from Bardstown Rd to Shelbyville Rd (across from Valhalla Golf Club) is the crown jewel of the region. One can drive 10 minutes from Glenmary, drop in a canoe or kayak for a half/full-day, authentic country outing, and drive back 10 minutes to enjoy some good Thai, Japanese, Heine Bros, and other first world food amenities. Its a remarkable juxtaposition!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:21 pm

James Natsis wrote:But once one makes a left out of Glenmary, it becomes pretty darn rural.

...for now! I remember when Glenmary was the official Homearama community (early 1990s?) and there wasn't much other development out there.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:30 pm

No doubt. Traffic has increased and bottle necks along Bardstown Rd near the Gene Snyder for quite a distance north and south of the freeway.

Luckily, the Parklands offer a protected stretch much like the Olmstem park system did a century earlier in what was then the outer limits of the city.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:31 pm

James Natsis wrote:No doubt. Traffic has increased and bottle necks along Bardstown Rd near the Gene Snyder for quite a distance north and south of the freeway.

Luckily, the Parklands offer a protected stretch much like the Olmstem park system did a century earlier in what was then the outer limits of the city.

*Olmsted
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 am

James Natsis wrote:*Olmsted

I make it a habit to read what people meant rather than what they said. :lol:

(By the way, I'm sure you know this, but just in case you hadn't noticed, the little pencil icon in the row at upper right of your posts allows you to edit and correct misteaks and eorros.)