Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Foodie movie "The Taste of Things"

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Foodie movie "The Taste of Things"

by James Natsis » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:35 pm

I had a chance to catch this film at the Speed Museum yesterday for a special Talk Cinema showing. The movie was surprisingly France's submission to the academy awards this year. I say surprisingly, because the Palme d'Or winner, "Anatomy of a Fall," seemed to be a shoo in.

More surprisingly, this is a film that spends its first, I think 40 mns or so, with a continual scene with a team preparing a gourmet dinner in rural, late 19th century France. The movie is exceptional. It exudes everything about why France is what it is in the culinary world.

I didn't know anything about this film until I decided to go see it with lukewarm expectations. This is a true chef d'oeuvre (masterpiece) and I would say of a generational nature. The patience and attention to detail and the "less is better" technique was so audacious, but remarkable. Most folks in this forum would really appreciate it.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Foodie movie "The Taste of Things"

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 am

Thanks for the alert! Looks promising. Here's a link to the trailer:
https://youtu.be/wB2Y19XaPSs?si=iIRIe4yZtL5hyxB7
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Foodie movie "The Taste of Things"

by James Natsis » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:35 pm

Thanks, Robin.

Its interesting to compare the trailer for "The Taste of Things" which is Juliette Binoche-, and romance-centric likely tailored for a broader, English-speaking audience. The trailer (bande annonce) marked "La Passion de Dodin Bouffant" (see below) depicts the movie from a food-centric point of view which is "la passion" of Dodin Bouffant (bouffant comes from "bouffer" which is a crude way to say "to eat).

I emphasize this because the true star is food--in every sense. Even the romance is premised on a shared passion for food. Although Binoche is wonderful as usual, she is dispensable. We find that later in the film as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cr8YcWPWeI
James J. Natsis