Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Pizza restaurant called Wheated planned in Highlands

by Rich S » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Wheated is finally getting close to opening at 1553 Bardstown Road after more than two years of work (original post is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26131 ). It recently applied for a liquor license, which usually means it’s a couple of months from opening.

It’s connected to a sourdough pizza restaurant/cocktail and whiskey bar in Brooklyn that’s also called Wheated. The owners of the Brooklyn Wheated, who are part-owners of the Louisville restaurant, chose the name because they like wheated bourbon. The Brooklyn Wheated has also started making bagels; I wonder if they’ll do that in Louisville.

I can’t find a website for the Louisville restaurant yet, but here are links to the Brooklyn Facebook page and a New York Times story about the place.

https://www.facebook.com/WHEATEDBROOKLYN/

https://archive.is/ip7ev
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pizza restaurant called Wheated planned in Highlands

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Interesting! I actually remember that Pete Wells story. Definitely worth a look ... I hope it opens soon because pizza. 8)
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 pm

I'm intrigued by the sourdough crust and, according to the Pete Wells article, the fact they put the sauce on top of the cheese. I'm a big fan of that type of layering and I wished more places did so. Impressed that they persevered over the last couple of years to see this through. I look forward to trying them.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:16 am

Same here, Steve. That sauce-over-cheese is really the Italian way. So, when do they open!? :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Lot of similarities between this and Chicago deep dish, ranging from not slicing carry-out pizza unless asked to the "reverse" layering with sauce on top to the paper underneath that absorbs steam / lets it escape!

Especially interesting to me that in some older discussions of Chicago deep dish these were either not mentioned or were mentioned disparagingly, but now it's a "new way" of doing things that works very well!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:45 pm

Business First has a story today about Wheated that notes that construction is still underway and there's no firm timeline for when it will open.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... lands.html

If anyone's interested in learning more about David Sheridan, who co-founded the original Wheated in Brooklyn, the Pizza City podcast talked to him back in 2022; it's pretty interesting. (There's also a podcast episode that features Max Balliet from Pizza Lupo that I haven't had a chance to listen to yet.)

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... yn-e1siv23
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Same here, Steve. That sauce-over-cheese is really the Italian way. So, when do they open!? :lol:

I'm not so sure that that's the way they do it nowadays. If you go to their Brooklyn website all of the pictures they show of pizzas have the topping on top. Maybe this just for show but it certainly makes you start thinking about how they make their pizzas.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:32 pm

I'm not so sure that that's the way they do it nowadays. If you go to their Brooklyn website all of the pictures they show of pizzas have the topping on top. Maybe this just for show but it certainly makes you start thinking about how they make their pizzas.

There is a famous Brooklyn restaurant, L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th Street in Bensonhurst. They have been doing sauce on top since the 30's. We have always referred to that as Bklyn pizza. https://spumonigardens.com

Looking forward to trying this place and making the hubby angry, as he HATES sauce on top :lol: