Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Kayrouz’s Delicatessen replaces Hooked on Frankfort

by Rich S » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:46 pm

Hooked on Frankfort (3202 Frankfort Ave.) closed this fall, and Kayrouz’s Delicatessen has taken its place. I spoke to the deli’s owner last week, and he was planning a soft opening on Black Friday with a limited menu of sandwiches. He’s still revising the regular menu, and there’s no website yet.

The owner is a member of the family that ran the JP Kayrouz restaurant in St. Matthews until it closed in 2003. He also opened Kayrouz Cafe on Willis Avenue, although he sold that more than a decade ago. I’m looking forward to trying this new place out.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Kayrouz’s Delicatessen replaces Hooked on Frankfort

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:14 am

Sad about Hooked, but good news about Kayrouz. Based on past conversations, I'm pretty sure the owner wishes he could wrest the family name away from the old place on Willis.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sad about Hooked, but good news about Kayrouz. Based on past conversations, I'm pretty sure the owner wishes he could wrest the family name away from the old place on Willis.

Hooked on Frankfort was good, but I was quite underwhelmed with their portion sizes.

I'm looking forward to trying Kayrouz Deli out though!! As for the name, you know more than I do, but I can't taste too much of a difference since he sold it, so at least the other Kayrouz is doing a solid job in that department. I did hear last time I was at Kayrouz Cafe that they are revamping their menu, though keeping at least the hot brown and chicken nova sandwiches.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:18 pm

Good write-up in Business First! (You can get behind the paywall through the Louisville Free Public Library site if you have an account).

https://ezpr.lfpl.org:2054/louisville/n ... ening.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 pm

MarieP wrote: ... (You can get behind the paywall through the Louisville Free Public Library site if you have an account).

:shock: :shock: :shock: I never knew that! I occasionally click to a Biz First article and grumble when I hit the paywall (no free monthly copies at all!), but it's just not worth it to me. Thanks for revealing this workaround, Marie! I hope I remember it the next time I want to look at one of their articles. 8)
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:02 am

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote: ... (You can get behind the paywall through the Louisville Free Public Library site if you have an account).

:shock: :shock: :shock: I never knew that! I occasionally click to a Biz First article and grumble when I hit the paywall (no free monthly copies at all!), but it's just not worth it to me. Thanks for revealing this workaround, Marie! I hope I remember it the next time I want to look at one of their articles. 8)

You're very welcome! I only very recently found it myself. LFPL also has an archive of the Courier Journal as well, in case you want to look back at the days when it was actually a newspaper! My mom got a kick out of me pulling up old classified ads with her name in them (she worked as a secretary for a summer).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:16 pm

Whoa! They've got a metric ton of databases that you can access with a library card.

https://www.lfpl.org/lfpl-databases
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:46 pm

You can also get around the BF paywall (and some on other sites) by disabling Javascript in your browser.

In Chrome, it's under the top right menu -> More tools-> Developer tools -> gear wheel button -> "Disable Javascript" checkbox near the bottom. Check that box and reload the page.