Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Taco Luchador on Baxter becoming Senora Arepa

by Rich S » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:26 pm

This is truly odd. I don't understand it, unless Taco Luchador's popularity is declining. Sign permit application was filed today:

Senora Arepa - Baxter Ave Location - Multiple Signs - ILLUMINATED
Brand Change at 938 Baxter by current owner. Senora Arepa signs. Multiple Signs. Some new signs, and some replacement to smaller dimension. Window Graphics less than 10% of visual coverage. Current Taco Luchedor signage coming down/being removed.

https://aca-prod.accela.com/LJCMG/Cap/C ... nspection=
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Taco Luchador on Baxter becoming Senora Arepa

by Rich S » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:12 pm

New Year's Eve was the last day for Taco Luchador's Baxter Avenue location. It opened almost exactly 10 years ago, so it had a pretty good run there. I don't know when Senora Arepa will take over the building, but I assume the change will take at least a month or so.

https://www.instagram.com/taco_luchador/p/C1kSzWkupji/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:18 pm

I griped on this forum a few years back about the tacopalooza tsunami sweeping through the area. There is some good stuff out there and from a restaurant point of view, its very cost efficient and fairly simple to produce. However, there is only so much you can do with a taco.

It kind of reminded me of Bubba from the Forrest Gump movie when he describes the types of shrimp. In taco terms, we got Mexican tacos, whatever region in Mexico tacos, any kind of meat tacos, fish tacos, any type of veggie tacos, vegan tacos, tikka tacos, west coast tacos, some randon name from California tacos, Marguaritaville tacos, and tacos taht are really just small wraps but we call them tacos anyway!

I'm ready for an arepas movement. I went to Barranquilla, Colombia about a dozen years ago and enjoyed the arepas and empanadas of the region. Fernado's wife is from Venezuela and he lived there for a while as well (I had a chance to speak to him once). He and his brother and the ole group are so impressive. I think they can sense the need to shift gears and lead a new trend.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:36 pm

I agree with James, the trend for overproced tacos has gone the way of overpriced freezer pops.. I for one welcome our new Arepa Overlords..

GG