Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Pier 17’s Dixie Highway location closes

by Rich S » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:44 am

Pier 17 Cajun Seafood has closed its Dixie Highway location after less than two years; the original restaurant on Hurstbourne Parkway remains open. The Louisville area once had 8 or 10 Cajun seafood restaurants, but we’re now down to three: Pier 17 and Storming Crab (Outer Loop and Clarksville).

A restaurant called Umami Buffet is apparently taking over the Pier 17 building at 5362 Dixie Highway. I can’t find anything about it online. What’s odd is that it’s practically next door to what I assume is a similar restaurant, Hibachi Buffet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pier 17’s Dixie Highway location closes

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:02 am

That was a fascinating episode, the quick rise and fall of the Cajun crab restaurant. It appeared to me that most of them were cookie-cutter operations - essentially similar if not identical - and either tightly or loosely connected to Vietnamese-American companies importing Southeast Asian seafood - including Alaskan crab shipped to Asia, packaged and frozen and shipped back to the US. Somehow I never perceived that as a recipe for excellence, but maybe I missed out?