Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

We just can’t stop talking about pizza

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:14 am

Boldly flying the red, green, and white colors of the Italian flag, the St. Matthew's – Coals Artisan Pizza's version of the pizza Margherita – is outstanding

If you’ve long harbored a wish to go viral on social media but didn’t know where to start, here’s a modest proposal: Speak of your undying love for pizza topped with pineapple … and anchovies.

That should do it, and if it costs you a few lost friends and followers, well, that’s the price of fame.

What is it about pizza that makes it such a natural topic for conversation and even debate? Well, just about everyone loves this Italian-born treat, and just about everyone has strong opinions about what we like … and what we don’t.

Thick crust or thin? Or some golden mean in between? Lots of tomato sauce, or just a schmear? Speaking of that sauce, do you want it spicy or mild? How about cheese? Just about everyone is down with cheese, but which cheese? Mozzarella, Parmigian’, a little of both, or something off the beaten path like caciocavallo or maybe vegan cheese?

And then there’s the toppings battle. Woooeee! When I mentioned pineapple with anchovies, did you respond positively? Anyone? I didn’t think so. Let’s talk about favorite pizza toppings today, and not-so-favorite items too.

Pineapple: Ooooh or ugggh?

I mentioned pineapple, so let’s begin with pineapple, the pizza topping that just about everyone loves to hate. Why put a Hawaiian fruit on an Italian treat? Just because we can, apparently. This is by no means a new phenomenon. I ran into it in Boise, Idaho, of all places, back in the Jurassic era – okay, the ‘70s – in a blend with Canadian bacon billed as “Hawaiian Delight.” I did not partake. The all-knowing Internet tells us that the idea originated in Chatham, Canada in 1954, when Greek immigrant Sam Panopoulos created the first Hawaiian pizza at his restaurant, Satellite, located in Chatham, Ontario, Canada.

In a 2017 interview with the BBC, unchastened at 83, Panopoulous said he and his brothers “just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste.” They said enjoyed the contrast between the pineapple’s sweetness and the savory flavor of the ham that they used with it.

Apparently a substantial number of pizza lovers agree. In a 2021 survey by YouGov.com, an internet pollster, 34% of respondents gave thumbs down to pineapple, enough to rank it as the nation’s fifth-most disliked topping. It was outpolled, though, by broccoli (39%), artichokes (44%), eggplant (52%), and, trailing badly, the much-loathed anchovy (61%).

What’s the problem with pineapple? Panopoulous wasn’t really wrong: Sweet and salty flavors can work together. But pineapple is not traditional on pizza, and for many of us, that’s reason enough. “Hard no on pineapple,” a friend said. “It's pizza, not a luau.”

Anchovies

So how about that finding that anchovies are America’s most hated topping? In an extended social-media discussion, one friend dismissed the hairy little salty fishes as “basically bait.” But another begged to differ: “Anchovies are the best! Tasty little salt bombs that get ripped by folks that’ve never tried them.”

Unlike pineapple, anchovies are as historic as it gets in the pizza universe; they’re recorded as present, with tomatoes, in Naples’ first pizzas in the 1600s. They may indeed trace all the way back to ancient Rome’s garum, a fermented fish paste akin to early Worcestershire sauce.

So we can’t knock them on the basis of tradition, but let’s face it: They’re strong, salty, and fishy, and that’s not for everyone.

The favorites

Looking on the bright side, the YouGov survey found pepperoni the most-liked topping, garnering approval from 64% of poll participants. It was followed in fairly close order by sausage (56%), mushrooms (54%), extra cheese (52%), and onions (48%). The Louisville-based trade journal Pizza Today concurred in the top four, but moved rising star bacon into its top five in a report this year.

My social-media conversation drew about 150 responses at last count, and most of the mavens there assembled seemed to agree with these findings. Pepperoni and sausage clearly emerged as crowd favorites, with mushrooms and cheese in hot pursuit. More controversial options included green peppers and olives (black or green) which mustered separate crews of lovers and haters.

One thing’s for sure: Louisville’s pizzeria community offers plenty of toppings to choose from. A random check of menus found selections ranging from 21 at Wick’s and 28 at Impellizzeri’s (pineapple but no anchovies at the spots) to 41 at both Coals and Boombozz (which both offer anchovies and pineapple and much more). Pay your money and make your choice.

Is margherita a topping?

Pizza margherita may be my favorite way to enjoy the worthy Italian pie. But is it a topping? I’m not so sure. Still, quite a few friends agreed that it is the pizza de la pizza.

Created in the 1880s and patriotically named after Margherita of Savoy, the first Queen of unified Italy, pizza Margherita’s simple ingredients – ripe tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese – were chosen to represent the red, green and white colors of the then-new Italian flag. It’s no coincidence that these ingredients, baked on top of a well-constructed pizza, bring together the ultimate in classic Italian flavors. I love it!

Finally, how about that crust?

I’ve never understood people who eat the saucy part and leave the bones – the golden, char-spotted deliciousness of the properly puffy and chewy edges – to be discarded. The proper pie is about toppings, sauce, and bread all three, and none of these components is optional.

But do we want it thick, thin, or deep? The YouGov.com survey found Americans narrowly divided between thin crust pizza (31% preferred it) and regular (29%). Fewer than one in five (18%) like the deep-dish style, and most of them may be in Chicago. I like a crust that’s thin enough to be foldable if I want to carry it around, but thick enough to hold up the ingredients. How about you?

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/talking-about-pizza

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section this week:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: We just can’t stop talking about pizza

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:51 am

We probably can't stop talking about it because it's probably 1 of the most liked dishes in America!

As far as toppings go, I personally love anchovies but it's very hard to find them anymore at least here in Louisville. I have to be in the right mood for a Hawaiian pizza but occasionally they are pretty good. There are obviously some other topping combinations that I don't like however as well as some unusual ones that taste very good. Coals has some of the unusual ones on their menu but I've liked everyone I've had there, maybe a crust I like so much!

Of course there's a topic about people like to eat cold leftover pizza. Darn it, now I wish I had some leftover pizza for breakfast today! :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:04 am

Mark, I love leftover pizza - sometimes I think a fairly good slice turns into an even better slice when I fire it in the toaster oven the next day until the cheese is melting and the crust starting to char.

But I have to admit, I don't really get cold pizza. I don't judge, but it's not for me! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I fire it in the toaster oven the next day until the cheese is melting and the crust starting to char. :mrgreen:

I prefer the air fryer.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:04 pm

James Natsis wrote:I prefer the air fryer.

Same — the air fryer really shines at making cold pizza seem fresh again.

And since we’re on the subject, I recently had an anchovy-breadcrumb-shallot pizza (the sfincione) at Pizza Lupo that was just outstanding. Hands down my favorite pizza I’ve ever had in Louisville.

Also some friends and I recently went to Coals, which was the the first time in a while for me. I got the excellent margherita and an enormous draft Peroni in a frozen mug. Between the bargain price (maybe $27 total even after a 22% tip?) and the cool, breezy patio, it was just a lovely summer evening all around.

I don’t hate pineapple on pizza in principle — it can definitely be done well. My objection is that when I have pineapple pizza it tends to be at some work or social function where someone ordered from a chain like Papa John’s or Domino’s, which are already pretty sweet pizzas to begin with. Adding pineapple just makes that kind of pizza worse, in my opinion.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:52 pm

I personally find the best way to reheat pizza is in a frying pan . . . put in a few drops of water, the pizza, cover it and stick it on a medium burner till hot and the cheese melts!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:34 pm

The frying pan is a legitimate technique, but to be honest, I fine that the simple expedient of putting the slice(s) directly on the rack of a toaster oven set at 350º for about eight minutes reconstitutes pizza wonderfully for me. Sometimes better than the original!
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:31 am

A minute or two under the broiler usually does the trick for me, with a zap in the microwave first if it's deep dish, to warm the center.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:26 pm

This is evolving into a "Secrets of Lousville(hotbytes) Chefs!"
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:04 pm

James Natsis wrote:This is evolving into a "Secrets of Lousville(hotbytes) Chefs!"

:lol:
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:32 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I personally find the best way to reheat pizza is in a frying pan . . . put in a few drops of water, the pizza, cover it and stick it on a medium burner till hot and the cheese melts!

I do something similar. I start heating it in the toaster oven to get the toppings hot and the cheese melty, and finish it in a hot cast iron skillet to get the crust nice and crispy. We'll often put slices of fresh pizza in the cast iron because a lot of times, the crust isn't as crispy as we'd like. Works like a charm :)
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:57 pm

We'll often put slices of fresh pizza in the cast iron because a lot of times, the crust isn't as crispy as we'd like. Works like a charm :)

You must be a Dave Portnoy fan! :lol:
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:03 pm

Jerry C wrote:
We'll often put slices of fresh pizza in the cast iron because a lot of times, the crust isn't as crispy as we'd like. Works like a charm :)

You must be a Dave Portnoy fan! :lol:

Not familiar, I'm sorry. Is that his thing?
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:59 pm

Not familiar, I'm sorry. Is that his thing?

Check out Barstool Pizza Reviews on YouTube...he is world renowned.