Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Maira Mediterranean Grill replaces Mirage Express

by Rich S » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:54 pm

I walked into Mirage Express Mediterranean Restaurant on Saturday and found it had abruptly turned into Maira Mediterranean Grill; they hadn’t even had time to change the signs. (This is at 4000 Dutchmans Lane in St. Matthews, a block east of Breckenridge.) Maira used to be near U of L, but it closed about a year ago because that property is set to be redeveloped. For now Maira is still serving the Mirage Express menu, but the owner told me he’ll switch to Maira’s menu in a week or two (the menus are similar).

I really liked Mirage Express, but even before it closed it had given up on its steam table of daily specials, which made it stand out. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Maira — at one point its owner also owned Safier downtown — and I plan to try more of its food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Maira Mediterranean Grill replaces Mirage Express

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:04 am

Good to know, Rich. Thanks!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: Maira Mediterranean Grill replaces Mirage Express

by MarieP » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:18 am

My family's really enjoyed the original Mirage on Preston, but we didn't think the Express would last long. It was slow service for a steam table operation, and the packaging was really unsuitable for carryout-- shrink wrapped styrofoam containers full of juicy entrees. Every container had leakage by the time we opened them up!