Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

The First Real Mexican Restaurant in Louisville

by TimT » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:55 am

I need help with a question for the forums most "experienced" members and Robin of course. When did the first authentic Mexican restaurant pop up in Louisville. I don't remember anything Mexican prior to Taco Bell and the Tex-Mex joints in the late 60's and early 70's. I'm talking about a genuine family run tacqueria or restaurant. Ready, set, go, and thanks in advance.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The First Real Mexican Restaurant in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:47 pm

Tim, I don't think we had any really authentic taquerias until places started popping up on Preston and across the river on Northern Boulevard in the middle 1990s. La Tapatia on Blue Lick was one of the first I remember. I think it, and the adjacent mercado, were Saul Garcia's first bentures before he opened the first Las Aztecas a few years after that. Los Aztecas and its competitors were a little easier for Norteamericanos and not quite as authentic, but they still raised the Mexican food level well above what it had been. But La Tapatia was the real thing, and it may have been the first.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:24 am

I'm thinking the first of any kind (perhaps not what you would consider authentic) was Por Que No? Wasn't it? I think the first I remember it was around 1975.

But that wan't your question was it? :oops: Sorry.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:01 am

Thank you Carla, Robin and anyone else that thought about my question, but came up blank.
I was writing about my introduction to Mexican food (tacos specifically) and wondered if my memory has failed, or if I recollected it correctly. Growing up the only "ethnic food" I can clearly recall was Italian and that struck me as a little crazy, given the plethora of cuisines readily available today.

My grandmother lived to 107 and in her later years she remarked that "life today is like living on the moon". I'm beginning to feel the same way sometimes. The only remaining achievements from the science fiction novels of childhood are time travel and warp-speed interplanetary travel!
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".