Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New Uptown Cafe, a lot like the old Uptown Cafe

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:14 am

New Uptown Cafe, a lot like the old Uptown Cafe

Eat your vegetables and like it: Uptown's gently spicy curried rice noodles are packed with perfectly prepared veggies and tofu.

As autumn 2020 chilled into the first Covid winter, one of the hardest hits of a run of bad restaurant news came when Uptown Cafe announced that it was closing on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, seemingly ending a 35-year run as a fixture on Bardstown Road’s Restaurant Row.

Uptown was comfortable, cozy, reasonably affordable, yet stylish, more a bistro than a diner. If it wasn’t a place where everyone knew your name, at least it was a place where your face was always familiar.

But its time had come, squashed by the worldwide pandemic. Owner Kelley Ledford put it bluntly, calling the closure "totally pandemic related ... financially insurmountable." Ledford had taken the reins from her parents Nancy and David Shepherd, who had also founded the more upscale Cafe Metro across the street in 1980.

The Uptown building stood closed and dark through that cold pandemic winter. But then in February good news broke: Longtime Uptown regulars Tom and Lisa Drexler, best known as proprietors of Tom Drexler Plumbing, had bought the business.

Uptown reopened in July 2021, following gentle renovation that maintained its style and spirit but avoiding major changes in a beloved tradition. Executive Chef Matt Weber (who had started at Cafe Metro) and Pastry Chef Jenna Miller remain, and most of the familiar menu items stayed. “This is not a place where you can get rid of the old favorites,” a HotBytes forum participant observed.

So here’s the new Uptown, pretty much like the old Uptown, so much so that I blinked and suddenly two years had passed before I got back. A delightful recent visit and a very good meal took quick care of that. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/new-old-uptown-cafe

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Uptown Cafe
1624 Bardstown Road
405-8898

uptownlouisville.com

facebook.com/UptownLouisville

instagram.com/uptowncafelouisville

Noise Level: Just about every table was taken at this popular spot, and that results in a happy hum. Conversation was only occasionally difficult, though, with average sound at 69dB with peaks to a noisy 78.8dB.

Accessibility: The restaurant and its multiple rooms appear fully accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: New Uptown Cafe, a lot like the old Uptown Cafe

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:20 am

My only complaint with Uptown is that I can only order one thing: the jägerschnitzel. It's simply too good to pass up. And with the demise of Gasthaus, where else can a person get their schnitzel fix?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 am

Good point! :lol:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:23 am

I know its not the hip, new place in town, but I really like the Uptown. The food is always good. the service is usually excellent. the price point is amazing for the quality of the food. The wine list is creative and fairly priced. The cocktails are well made. I am glad it is still there.