Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

“Find us on Facebook” Or not. Restaurants and social media

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:26 am

“Find us on Facebook” Or not. Restaurants and social media

Anoosh Bistro uses its Instagram presence actively to share menu specials and establish its personality. In this post, host Anoosh Shariat preps fresh basil while inviting guests for dinner.

In the overall scheme of things, it hasn’t been all that long since Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. And it’s still recent history when Steve Jobs started the process of getting a tiny, powerful computer into everyone’s pocket.

How in the heck did we figure out how to eat before we could grab our smartphone and in a matter of seconds check out everything we wanted to know about where to go for dinner tonight and figure out what to have when we got there?

As recently as the 1980s, when I first wrote about restaurants for the old Louisville Times, a newspaper review was one of the few ways you could find out about the latest and greatest. If you’re reading this column, perhaps it still is, and I thank you!

Of course many places also advertised in the papers, and just about every eatery in town had a listing in the Yellow Pages. Remember those? The fancier or more assertive places paid up for larger display ads in that would stand out in that hefty, annually updated volume filled with tiny print.

Other than those dead-tree options, the occasional billboard, and fliers carried door to door, it was pretty much all word-of-mouth. It seemed to work, and the good news was that it didn’t cost the restaurant owner all that much to get the establishment’s name out there.

That was then. This is now.

That was then. Everything is different now. We want to know everything there is to know about every place we might want to eat. We want to know the hours, the location, what the place looks like, the dress code, and of course a full, accurate, current menu with detailed descriptions and prices.

Where do we want it? We want it on a website, Facebook, Instagram (like Anoosh Shariat's post for his Anoosh Bistro, at the top of this page), and, increasingly, TikTok and even that spanking-new Twitter killer, Meta’s Threads. not to mention search engines like Google and Bing, reservation services like OpenTable, local online forums like LouisvilleHotBytes. And yeah, we still want to read media reviews, too. We’re still here and plan to stay, although looking around, this seems to be a declining art form.

From our perspective as consumers, this may seem like a golden age. Pull up an eatery’s website or Facebook page, follow it on Instagram, and we’ve got a ton of information to help us decide. We probably have good reason to doubt whether it’s 100 percent current – I recently checked a local eatery’s menu that cited a supplier I knew had been closed since last winter – but it’s a wealth of data that we never had before.

How does social media get paid for?

From the restaurateur’s perspective, though, this can’t be an unmixed blessing. In a business with narrow profit margins and unexpected costs lurking around every corner, advertising was a small but necessary budget line. Then came the Internet, and maybe for a while you could get by with the help of a tech-savvy kid crafting you a simple website. Ha! Not any more.

Costs vary widely, and a lucky executive may still know where to find that tech-savvy kid. But in a competitive market where you need to look professional or go home, it may cost $10,000 or more to set up a website, Facebook and Instagram pages and another couple of thousand to keep it up to date. That’s not a place to cut corners, either. You don’t want to make a potential customer angry before they even come in the door to discover the dish they wanted or the price they expected has changed.

It’s enough to make an owner throw up their hands and give the whole thing up. Who needs a website anyway? Only a restaurant executive who wants to survive, that’s all!

It takes money to make money, as the saying goes, and it’s necessary to be in the competition to lure those hungry diners in your doors. According to a survey cited in QSR, publication of the quick-service restaurant industry, nearly half (45 percent) of U.S. diners said they’ve tried a restaurant for the first time because of a social media post; and three-quarters said they actively follow and engage with restaurants on social media and are most likely to dine in or order food from the establishments that they follow.

“For restaurant marketers, it’s clear that high-quality social media content … has great relevance to consumers,” Ryan Goff at restaurant marketing agency MGH told QSR. “When done right, social content marketing can have great influence over where diners choose to spend their hard-earned money.”

How much is enough?

So, you’ve shelled out for your website and your Facebook page and made sure that they show up on Google Maps. Can you call it a day? Probably not. Instagram matters. According to Social Media Today nearly one-third of millennial diners “actively avoid restaurants with a weak Instagram presence. The power Instagram has on consumers’ purchasing behavior is continuously growing. This means that your business’s Instagram is just as important as your website.”

Nor can you stop there. According to Nation’s Restaurant News, Gen Z is showing a distinct preference for TikTok over Google Maps for deciding where to eat, thanks to “TikTok reviews’ immersive, authentic qualities. Users like TikTok because its seemingly endless content feels authentic and unfussy – videos made by real people, for real people. Creating ads that capture the candid nature of organic TikTok content helps businesses blend in and profit.”

And then there’s fast-growing Threads. “Many restaurant brands aren’t wasting any time trying to leverage the mass migration to Threads,” Nation’s Restaurant News observed in another article. What does having a presence here mean? Well, for starters, it means the brands that choose to join Threads will have to develop another content strategy for yet another social media channel.”

It never seems to end, but if you want to be seen, you’ve got to be there. Good luck, restaurant industry friends!

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/rest ... cial-media

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section this week:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: “Find us on Facebook” Or not. Restaurants and social med

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:29 am

This is a nice piece, Robin. I do use Instagram a lot to check out weekly specials (or to see Josh at Volare holding the catch of the day). I also find myself using the photos embedded in Google Maps in order to find picture of menus, which often aren’t posted on websites, or don’t include pricing. Also to see how particular dishes look.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 pm

Good points, Iggy! The whole thing about websites not keeping menus up to date is a big problem. I'm not sure a lot of restaurateurs are aware how frustrating that is for people. Or maybe they do, but they're tearing their hair out because they can't get attention from the folks they paid big bucks to build the website in the first place.

In addition to Insta, I've found that if a restaurant's Facebook page is active, they'll often post a photo of the menu when there's an update, so sometimes I'll page back a few weeks looking for that.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:01 am

Nice piece, Robin. I've been reflecting on this over the past few days.

I'm into the final days of a 3-week stay in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I stayed here 3 weeks last year as well. I state this because our habits change depending on where we are and what are needs may be.

When in Louisville, my needs are much different. I can eat at home and when I go out, I already know what to expect. So there is minimal need to explore websites and pictures apart from trying a new or different place here and there.

When not in Louisville, things change. But needs are different depending on my familiarity of a place and how long I will stay. If I'm basically on the road and staying at different places for a short time, there is no familiarity outside of a known franchise. Plus, I'm dependent on eating out because there is no time to cook.

But when staying in one place for more extended stay, as in my case in Sherbrooke, or others who may have a summer home or something like that, it is a different case.

And in the case of Quebec, it is clearly the most unique environment anywhere north of the Mexican border. Although there are many familiar US franchises, they are dwarfed by Canadian, and even more so local Quebec franchises. So eating is certainly an adventure. And the further off the beaten track, the less present are the franchises, and for those who don't understand any French, and any info in English.

As for restaurants and social media, the bigger and more franchised places use the same methods as anyone else. But this past week I eat in two different Vietnamese places. They were both locally run and did not have a website per se. There was a Google page for each with typical location, hours, some photos, etc. There was also some facebook/instagram stuff with pretty much the same thing. They both posted a photograph of their respective menus. That was good enough for me. My main concern is if they are even still in business, and when they are open and closed. They were both very much in business, and were nice, clean sit-down service restaurants. Based on the amount of customers I saw, there were probably well established and could care less about dabbling in anything but the bare minimum of social media.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:19 pm

Thanks for your observations in the North, James. I envy you your experience. I also hope that being much closer to the Canadian wildfires isn't causing any problems for you!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for your observations in the North, James. I envy you your experience. I also hope that being much closer to the Canadian wildfires isn't causing any problems for you!

Thanks, Robin. I think all of the wildfire stuff has blown on, at least where I am.

By the way, I'd like to add that recycling is taken very seriously here. I can't speak for the rest of Canada, although I guess so. But in Quebec it is serious business. I'm seeing more wooden forks, spoons, and knives used for carry outs. Plastic straws are giving way to paper, and carry out plates and bowls are increasingly biodegradable (I haven't seen any Styrofoam). Waste bins are more commonly recycled-products-friendly than back home. Its still a work in progress, but visibly more advanced than in the Ville and in other such places in the US.

Plastic bags in grocery stores are almost obsolete (shout out to Aldi's back home). It is quite common to see people walking out with their arms full of a few groceries (myself included). Dandelions are abundant along with other flowery things that we call weeds (and bees call food) because you can't (or not supposed to) use Roundup and such products.

Another thing worth mentioning that I noticed years ago is that you would never be expected to hand over your credit card to a waiter for them to go off somewhere to swipe it. They won't even take it when you pay at a counter. You have to swipe or tap it yourself. I'm sure others have noticed this when they've traveled out of the US.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:45 am

Interesting observations, James. Quebec sounds like it's on the right track in some ways. We haven't traveled since well before the pandemic, but past experiences are similar: The US stands out in a lot of ways, and not all of them good ways. :(