Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We go for the big cheese, and charcuterie too, at Harvey's

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:22 am

We go for the big cheese, and charcuterie too, at Harvey's

You can choose charcuterie plates with varieties of meat and cheese, but we kept it simple with a rose-like round of thin-sliced fennel-scented finnochiona salami and a happy contingent of accompaniments.

Charcuterie. Not long ago, most of us weren’t even sure how to pronounce it. Now, says the National Restaurant association, “Charcuterie makes the cut for 2023. A Top 3 hot menu trend and No. 1 in appetizers … charcuterie is a rising star on menus.”

Indeed, charcuterie is showing up in restaurants all over town. You can get a board on the menu at Red Hog, North of Bourbon, Mussel & Burger Bar, Monnik Beer Co., where the $21 charcuterie plate features local meats and cheeses … did I mention that charcuterie is trending? We’re even getting shops that specialize in charcuterie: Board and You in New Albany will fashion you a board to go, and so will Cultured - Cheese and Charcuterie Bar in Butchertown. Not to mention Harvey’s in Clifton, a newish spot that I’ve been meaning to check out since it opened at the end of February, when it moved into this storefront in the Clifton Lofts condo building from its former stand in the Logan Street Market.

It’s a small but comfortable space, doing a substantial take-out business in party cheese and charcuterie boards, cheese plates, and a small but interesting slection of cheeses, locally produced jams and jellies, and more. You’ll hear a faint Aussie accent here, as Brent Mills, who owns Harvey’s with his wife Ashley Urjil-Mills, hails from Sydney, where the couple met. They named the shop after their son.

You’re welcome to dine in too, with comfortable wooden tables and chairs in a quick-service setting where you order at the counter.

The lunch menu fits on one page but still gives plenty of choice; the flip side offers a similarly enticing choice of beverages. On the food side you’ll find four appetizers (titled “snacks”), four sandos (yep, sandwiches), and four meal-size bowls, along with a cheese-and-charcuterie option and a trio of sweets. Just about everything is priced in the teens, with a couple of snacks on the low end and a black garlic ricotta gnocchi bowl topping out the price range at $24. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/big- ... ie-harveys

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Harvey's
2011 Frankfort Ave.
314-0432
https://harveyscheese.com
https://facebook.com/harveyscheese
https://instagram.com/harveyslou

Noise Level: The room wasn’t very crowded during a late weekday lunch, and even with soft background music noise never rose above a conversational 68dB.

Accessibility: A step bars independent wheelchair access to the front door, but a side door, the dining area and the restrooms all appear accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: We go for the big cheese, and charcuterie too, at Harvey

by MarieP » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:20 am

Very interesting menu, but pricey...though interesting enough to maybe try it once!

Who here remembers Monterey Jack, the Aussie mouse from the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers cartoon?

And then I'm reminded of Harvey's on the River, that "gourmet" (delicious, at least, and it's on the river) hot dog place that used to be in Prospect!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:55 am

Marie, I forgot about Harvey's on the River! I don't think I remember the one from Chip and Dale, though. :)

As for pricing, well ... just about all the dishes are in the teens, and with decent size portions plus grocery prices the way they are, that didn't feel out of line to me. The bottom line in the $30s for two falls into the category I call "moderate."
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:As for pricing, well ... just about all the dishes are in the teens, and with decent size portions plus grocery prices the way they are, that didn't feel out of line to me. The bottom line in the $30s for two falls into the category I call "moderate."

Ah, sorry, I forgot you were looking at the lunch menu! The dinner entree menu was in the $24-42 range!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:23 am

MarieP wrote:Ah, sorry, I forgot you were looking at the lunch menu! The dinner entree menu was in the $24-42 range!

Oh, duh, I forgot about that! Yes, that is WHY we went for lunch! Good point, Marie. We are on the same wavelength now.
no avatar
User

Brent M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 pm

by Brent M » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:58 am

MarieP wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:As for pricing, well ... just about all the dishes are in the teens, and with decent size portions plus grocery prices the way they are, that didn't feel out of line to me. The bottom line in the $30s for two falls into the category I call "moderate."

Ah, sorry, I forgot you were looking at the lunch menu! The dinner entree menu was in the $24-42 range!

The dinner entree menu range is $13-$42....yes there are a couple of expensive items such as the Wagyu steak $39 and Brisket & Black Bean Meat Pie $42 (serves at least two people) but most entree items fall into the mid 20's range. Also, everything is really meant to share here on the dinner menu, lots of these items can serve more than one person. I hope you will come check us out Marie!

Thank you for the review Robin, hope you can come check us out at dinner sometime soon too...it's when we do most of our business now!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, Brent! Good points about looking at the median and not the extremes. We'll have to do that dinner thing.