Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Is it just me?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Is it just me?

by Kim H » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am

Or does this sound kinda gross:

GRILLED BROCCOLINI
Bernaise, grapefruit, fennel frond, popped sorghum
$14
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Is it just me?

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:36 pm

It certainly doesn't sound interesting by the ingredients but who knows, it may be great if they are combined correctly!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:50 pm

The grapefruit and sorghum seem like curious additions. Is this a side? Seems overly complicated for a side dish, but too light to be main...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:49 pm

I had a dish with popped sorghum on top and enjoyed it more than I expected ... it looks like fat grains of arborio rice and tastes like the old Quaker Puffed Wheat cereal ("Shot from Guns!").

Bernaise can be on the tart side with its vinegar/wine base and lemon, so maybe grapefruit isn't entirely out of place either.

Is this dish at either Naive or Nostalgic, Kim? I had the popped sorghum on a dish at Naive, so I wonder if it's a signature item for the chef? If so, I would definitely try the dish. They're good at unexpected combinations.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:06 pm

Mark R. wrote:It certainly doesn't sound interesting by the ingredients but who knows, it may be great if they are combined correctly!

Very true, it could be one those unexpected combinations that somehow works. It's doesn't read well in print or my imagination, but I've been surprised before!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:07 pm

RonnieD wrote:The grapefruit and sorghum seem like curious additions. Is this a side? Seems overly complicated for a side dish, but too light to be main...

It is a side dish.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I had a dish with popped sorghum on top and enjoyed it more than I expected ... it looks like fat grains of arborio rice and tastes like the old Quaker Puffed Wheat cereal ("Shot from Guns!").

Bernaise can be on the tart side with its vinegar/wine base and lemon, so maybe grapefruit isn't entirely out of place either.

Is this dish at either Naive or Nostalgic, Kim? I had the popped sorghum on a dish at Naive, so I wonder if it's a signature item for the chef? If so, I would definitely try the dish. They're good at unexpected combinations.

I missed the "popped" part of sorghum, that changes things in my mind - more of a texture addition. And yes, good call Robin, it is Nostalgic! :-)
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:36 am

Please try it and report back. :D

I give their brussel sprouts two very enthusiastic thumbs up. It has sorghum and popcorn and we LOVED it. I'm a big fan of getting creative with vegetables, regardless if it's a side or not. Order two and it can become a meal.

Excited to try Paseo soon because they also have some interesting takes on veggies/sides.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:25 pm

When I read things with odd ingredients like that I think “someone is trying too hard.” Then, after trying it, I think, “oh. Now I get it.”
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:43 am

Heather L wrote:Please try it and report back. :D

I give their brussel sprouts two very enthusiastic thumbs up. It has sorghum and popcorn and we LOVED it. I'm a big fan of getting creative with vegetables, regardless if it's a side or not. Order two and it can become a meal.

Excited to try Paseo soon because they also have some interesting takes on veggies/sides.

I will, or I'll let someone else tell me about it. I'm open-minded for the most part, but I'm just not big on savory w/sweet to begin with, just not my thing
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:21 pm

That actually sounds good to me. As a former longtime vegetarian, and a current partial vegetarian, I've endured my fair share of unseasoned, steamed frozen vegetable medleys.

But the grand prix goes to a very nice hotel in downtown Columbus, Oh. We recently attended a very large banquet in a nice venue. The vegetarian option was "califlower steak " That sounded interesting and it was a nice hotel--wow, I thought. This could be ground breaking.

Well, they had the audacity to serve a sliced chuck, seasoned with some generic brand of seasoned salt, flopped across a gas grill for a minute or so per side, then plated--and with no sauce! It was not only pathetic--and expensive--but indignant!

So vive the folks who endeavor to create extraordinary vegetable-based options.
James J. Natsis