Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Paseo

no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Paseo

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:38 am

Just ran across this article about a place opening today: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2023/06/28/5-things-to-know-about-paseo-restaurant-in-the-highlands-in-louisville/70343066007/. Certainly has flown under my radar but I know I'm intrigued.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Paseo

by Heather L » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:34 am

Looks good! I'm excited to try it.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:27 am

Another article, from LOUtoday:

Take a walk on the Mediterranean side
LOUtoday_Paseo

Paseo, a new Southern European-inspired wood-fired restaurant opens today at 900 Baxter Ave. — and the aged duck paella is the first thing you should order.

Named after the Spanish word for “walk,” Paseo takes all the flavors from the Southern countries around the Mediterranean Sea and packs them into a laid back, open-kitchen concept with major European coastal vibes — and lots of exotic plants.

The 154-seat, indoor/outdoor restaurant, led by Chef Jeremy Frederiksen, is part of the forthcoming boutique hotel, The Myriad, opening later this year on the site of a former disco ball factory.

Here’s what we tried at the preview dinner:
Hummus bruleé with Turkish flatbread + fresh veggies
Crispy ricotta balls with house-made puttanesca
The aforementioned aged duck paella made with bomba rice from Spain
Harissa cauliflower steak
Pork belly shish served on a skewer with vegetables
Grilled and chilled bean salad with preserved citrus
Labneh vanilla and Barr Farms’ strawberry soft serve ice cream topped with pistachio baklava

The bar boasts wines produced in the same Mediterranean region + a variety of spritz cocktails made with regional ingredients — in addition to craft cocktails, beer, and other spirits.

Swing by for dinner Tuesday-Thursday, 4:30-9:30 p.m. or Friday and Saturday, 4:30-10:30 p.m. In August, Paseo will start lunch service Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. and brunch on Saturday and Sunday beginning at 9 a.m.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:08 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Another article, from LOUtoday:

Take a walk on the Mediterranean side
LOUtoday_Paseo

Paseo, a new Southern European-inspired wood-fired restaurant opens today at 900 Baxter Ave. — and the aged duck paella is the first thing you should order.

Named after the Spanish word for “walk,” Paseo takes all the flavors from the Southern countries around the Mediterranean Sea and packs them into a laid back, open-kitchen concept with major European coastal vibes — and lots of exotic plants.

The 154-seat, indoor/outdoor restaurant, led by Chef Jeremy Frederiksen, is part of the forthcoming boutique hotel, The Myriad, opening later this year on the site of a former disco ball factory.

Here’s what we tried at the preview dinner:
Hummus bruleé with Turkish flatbread + fresh veggies
Crispy ricotta balls with house-made puttanesca
The aforementioned aged duck paella made with bomba rice from Spain
Harissa cauliflower steak
Pork belly shish served on a skewer with vegetables
Grilled and chilled bean salad with preserved citrus
Labneh vanilla and Barr Farms’ strawberry soft serve ice cream topped with pistachio baklava

The bar boasts wines produced in the same Mediterranean region + a variety of spritz cocktails made with regional ingredients — in addition to craft cocktails, beer, and other spirits.

Swing by for dinner Tuesday-Thursday, 4:30-9:30 p.m. or Friday and Saturday, 4:30-10:30 p.m. In August, Paseo will start lunch service Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. and brunch on Saturday and Sunday beginning at 9 a.m.

Looks good! What a nice surprise. Here’s the menu:

https://www.myriadhotel.com/food-and-booze/paseo-menu
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:32 pm

We just returned from our first meal. I say first, because we will definitely return. Everything we had was excellent. My wife made a meal of the hummus brulee and beans and greens salad and she found both to be outstanding. I sampled the hummus and I concur, it's charred exterior, sweet onion jam and toasted sunflower seeds hit a lot of notes, all of them good. Not to be missed. Then there was the seafood paella. I haven't had such a treat since De La Torres (sic.?) closed years ago. I will say that when you walk in you will be hit by a wall of smokiness that may seem a bit off-putting at first. One bite of the woodfired prawns and I said "OK, now I get it." I could go on, but I think you get the point. Two thumbs up.
Space-wise they've done a great job (although methinks some ceiling baffling would be a help when the place fills up---lots of hard surfaces), with an adjacent courtyard that would be enticing for summer-friendly cocktails. The attached boutique hotel will make a great base for visitors. With this place and the Bellewether, the Highlands finally has a couple of such places where out-of-towners can park themselves and enjoy the neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:40 pm

This one’s gotta go on the list!
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:This one’s gotta go on the list!

And I look forward to your take on it. I have to say their menu is one of the more appealing I've seen in a while. I want to sample more!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:55 am

Thanks for the review Steve! Sounds great and I am excited to try it
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off