Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Worst Dining Experience?

no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Worst Dining Experience?

by Mike L » Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 pm

Without naming anyone, what's the worst post-Covid dining experience you've had?

We were travelling back to Louisville late one evening, and we were trying to get somewhere for a late dinner. We arrived at one restaurant about an hour before their posted closing time, only to find out the manager had sent everyone home and closed the kitchen early because of it being a slow night. The bar was still open, hooray!

I've been going to that restaurant for over 25 years, and we'll probably never go back, just because of this experience. I could never rely on them to be open in their posted hours again.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Worst Dining Experience?

by Mark R. » Wed May 31, 2023 9:52 pm

Did you have a reservation? If not I really don't blame the manager for close location and sending everyone home if they were not busy. They can afford to keep everything running it helps a few people may come in at the last minute.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am

My worst dining experience was more funny than anything. It was at some Tex-Mex place in Nashville. My dad ordered a dessert quesadilla, but it somehow got confused with a seafood quesadilla. His order came out covered in chocolate, with whipped cream and a cherry on top. He took a bite assuming it was a dessert, but when he tasted the shrimp, cheese, cilantro, and onion inside he let out a yelp of disgust, confusion, and disappointment that I’ve never heard a human being make before or since. But they replaced it and comped it and everyone laughed.

In terms of stress, there was a very popular pasta place in DC where every night the line was out the door. I ordered fettuccine bolognese and they brought me gnocchi bolognese, and when I asked for what I’d actually ordered, they insisted I’d ordered gnocchi, refused to bring my fettuccine or comp it or anything, and both the waiter and the owner/manager gave me the stink eye the rest of the meal, as though I’d done something wrong. I guess they figured they had so many customers and they didn’t want to delay my vacating the table. And I would up eating it, and it was perfectly good. But it was so aggressively hostile that I never went back.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:22 pm

Mark R. wrote:Did you have a reservation? If not I really don't blame the manager for close location and sending everyone home if they were not busy. They can afford to keep everything running it helps a few people may come in at the last minute.

It's not a place that takes reservations. I get their side of it, but actions have consequences. From my side, I can't expect them to be open after this experience so I'd never go back. I'd always have anxiety about whether I'd get there, they'd be closed, and I'd have to scramble. It's kind of like "fool me once..."
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm

It's not a place that takes reservations. I get their side of it, but actions have consequences. From my side, I can't expect them to be open after this experience so I'd never go back. I'd always have anxiety about whether I'd get there, they'd be closed, and I'd have to scramble. It's kind of like "fool me once..."[/quote]

Couldn’t this be fixed by calling them? Or just not eating there within an hour of closing? Are they really far away from your home so that traveling there is a huge investment?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Hooboy, could I tell some stories! And I will too, but no time right now ...
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:58 am

Mark R. wrote:....I really don't blame the manager for close location and sending everyone home if they were not busy.

Andy's Auto-Service "aw gee, it was kinda slow so I let all of the guys go home early..... I'm sure they have your car by tomorrow a.m."
Phillip's Pharmacy "oh no, sir. there weren't many customers in this afternoon, so we let everyone go home early. But you can pick up your heart medications, first thing in the morning."
Bob's Bank, "yeah, I understand you need to withdraw funds to pay your mortgage today, but it was a little slow....."

get my point?..... a restaurant is a business, not a social club.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:26 am

Willie Myers wrote:
Mark R. wrote:....I really don't blame the manager for close location and sending everyone home if they were not busy.

Andy's Auto-Service "aw gee, it was kinda slow so I let all of the guys go home early..... I'm sure they have your car by tomorrow a.m."
Phillip's Pharmacy "oh no, sir. there weren't many customers in this afternoon, so we let everyone go home early. But you can pick up your heart medications, first thing in the morning."
Bob's Bank, "yeah, I understand you need to withdraw funds to pay your mortgage today, but it was a little slow....."

get my point?..... a restaurant is a business, not a social club.

I'm with Mr. Myers on this. Unless there's a blizzard or tornado on the way that endangers lives you stay open the hours you post that you will be open. And I've been on both sides of that coin.
Say what you mean, mean what you say and do what you say you are going to do.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:18 am

Carla G wrote:I'm with Mr. Myers on this. Unless there's a blizzard or tornado on the way that endangers lives you stay open the hours you post that you will be open. And I've been on both sides of that coin.
Say what you mean, mean what you say and do what you say you are going to do.

Carla! I'd give you 5 "thumbs up"! (if I had 5 thumbs!)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:20 pm

(Emergencies and Acts of God aside)Hours of Operation are hours of operation. It's a promise to the customer that you will be open when you say you are. If you cannot honor that then you may not deserve your customer base. If it's slow you send everyone home except the most skeleton crew and you stay open. I've been so slow before at J. Gumbo's I sent everyone home and closed the store by myself. You cannot betray that trust. Plain and simple. No excuse.

As for the OP: One time we were sat at a Denny's (yeah, I know) and waited 30 minutes to see a server, never did, and thus left.

I also have a fairly infamous story about a fairly well-to-do hallowed local place wherein we knew the owners and were amicably chatting with them while dining one night, when we ordered dessert (creme brulee). The brulee arrived and was devoid of any kind of flavor at all. We mentioned it to the owner, who promptly sent out his new dessert chef, a very enthusiastic young woman, to take the feedback about the brulee. We asked if she had tasted it when it was prepared and her response was, I kid you not, "no, I'm not really big into sweets." Astonished and puzzled looks all around. We paid the tab and quietly left.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:35 am

Now, that story is a keeper, Ronnie! :D. Thanks for sharing it.