Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Diners Are Fed Up With Minimal Service.

by Mike L » Tue May 30, 2023 4:52 pm

From the New York Times:

"Diners Are Fed Up With Minimal Service. Will a Little Warmth Win Them Back?"

Link to article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/diners-fed-m ... 13413.html

IMO, the majority of those quoted in the article get it. People are sympathetic to what serving staff has gone through with the pandemic, but at the end of the day... we want a refill.

If restaurants can't provide good service and the requested meal, restaurants are going to cease to exist. The price of a meal out has always been grossly high compared to what it costs to make at home. What are we paying for? An experience. Receiving the wrong order and having a server shrug is not an experience. Not one we'll want to repeat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Diners Are Fed Up With Minimal Service.

by Robin Garr » Tue May 30, 2023 4:56 pm

Thanks, Mike! Looks like a good read.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Diners Are Fed Up With Minimal Service.

by Carla G » Tue May 30, 2023 8:07 pm

Great article. Happy to see the industry move away from that “turn the table, turn the table I don’t care what you do JUST TURN THE TABLE” mentality. The idea that a server that enjoys their work, gets the pay and respect they deserve, and has the chance to balance work and family will be a happier, more productive employee should have been obvious all along. “A rising tide lifts all boats.” All of society needs to ditch the “it’s all about me and what I want” mentality and realize we are all trying to muddle along.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson