Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Goose Creek Diner Moving

by MarieP » Mon May 15, 2023 5:49 pm

Goose Creek Diner’s move has been in the works for quite some time! They’re not moving next door (their plan before Covid) but to 812 Lyndon Lane, where Sal’s Pizza used to be. It will be renamed The Goose, and it sounds like it’ll be somewhere in between The Gander’s menu and their current menu (so I’m hopeful they’ll at least keep keep the liver and onions, hot browns, chicken livers, fried green tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes!)

Their final day at the current location will likely be Sunday, June 4th, and they hope to reopen at the new place within a few weeks.

The photos on the Facebook page look nice. I just hope their food remains as delicious- lots of memories with family and friends there!!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9896575157
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Goose Creek Diner Moving

by Mark R. » Mon May 15, 2023 7:49 pm

Unfortunately from what I've heard it's going to be more every sports Bar atmosphere willful definitely cater to a different type of crowd than what they have now. Also at least for us it's not with near as convenient. We're going to miss this place.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon May 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:Unfortunately from what I've heard it's going to be more every sports Bar atmosphere willful definitely cater to a different type of crowd than what they have now. Also at least for us it's not with near as convenient. We're going to miss this place.

Odd- someone asked on their Facebook page about the menu, specifically chicken livers and liver & onions, and the official reply was that both would be on the menu, which would be 75% the same. We’ll see what happens!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Tue May 16, 2023 7:20 am

MarieP wrote:...(so I’m hopeful they’ll at least keep keep the liver and onions, hot browns, chicken livers, fried green tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes!)

meat loaf, meat loaf, MEAT LOAF!! - - - best in town....
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 16, 2023 12:40 pm

MarieP wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Unfortunately from what I've heard it's going to be more every sports Bar atmosphere willful definitely cater to a different type of crowd than what they have now. Also at least for us it's not with near as convenient. We're going to miss this place.

Odd- someone asked on their Facebook page about the menu, specifically chicken livers and liver & onions, and the official reply was that both would be on the menu, which would be 75% the same. We’ll see what happens!

I was referring more to the atmosphere than I was the menu. At the present location it's very mellow, calm and relaxing. From what I've read and heard the new one is going to have televisions all over the place etc.

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue May 16, 2023 1:08 pm

Mark R. wrote:I was referring more to the atmosphere than I was the menu. At the present location it's very mellow, calm and relaxing. From what I've read and heard the new one is going to have televisions all over the place etc.

Oh dear! Yeah, that’s not good! I wonder why? I can think of a number of other places in Lyndon that have TVs! Maybe they think it will fit in better? It’s not like they have any competition, as far as their cuisine type.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue May 16, 2023 1:11 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
MarieP wrote:...(so I’m hopeful they’ll at least keep keep the liver and onions, hot browns, chicken livers, fried green tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes!)

meat loaf, meat loaf, MEAT LOAF!! - - - best in town....

I’m probably going to eat there tonight, and I’ve never tried their meat loaf…will have to!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 16, 2023 9:20 pm

MarieP wrote:Oh dear! Yeah, that’s not good! I wonder why? I can think of a number of other places in Lyndon that have TVs! Maybe they think it will fit in better? It’s not like they have any competition, as far as their cuisine type.

Here's my guess: They know that Sal's was hugely popular there, with a loyal crowd that packed the place and loved the sports bar setting. Why would they tamper with that and risk running off a natural market? It'll be different for sure, but Sal's was a surprisingly mellow place for a sports bar, and if they can hang on to that and keep some semblance of Goose Creek Diner food, I think it will fly.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu May 25, 2023 11:13 pm

They'd better not get rid of their country fried steak and mashed potatoes either. That's pretty much what I always get. I'll also be disappointed if they discontinue their homemade pies and cakes.

Oh, and what about their take-out Thanksgiving dinners?

I guess the new location is not much further from Fern Creek than the old one, but I do not enjoy sports bars with loud tvs and loud, potentially drunk patrons. I know of some friends who are VERY angry about this change/move. Diners are a dying breed in this city, and I'm sad about it.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:22 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:46 pm

Looks like they kept the majority of the favorite items that most people mentioned. Also I think many people are still concerned about what the atmosphere is going to be.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:17 am

Mark R. wrote:Looks like they kept the majority of the favorite items that most people mentioned. Also I think many people are still concerned about what the atmosphere is going to be.

I'm not sure that's going to be the issue that a few people think. Sal's was always very much a friendly neighborhood kind of place. I doubt very much that Goose Creek management plans to turn it into a dive.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not sure that's going to be the issue that a few people think. Sal's was always very much a friendly neighborhood kind of place. I doubt very much that Goose Creek management plans to turn it into a dive.

I'm quite sure they are not going to turn it into a dive, they have a lot more class than that. However I get the feeling and a couple of the pictures I posted on Facebook look like they're going to be televisions in your face no matter where you are sitting in the new restaurant. Thus the atmosphere will be completely different than that of Goose Creek.

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:32 am

The photos of the redo make the place look bright and cheerry. Not dark and "bar like" as before. As long as the TVs aren't tuned to FOX ...
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:00 pm

I looked at their FB posts and photos.

They are definitely moving away from the diner concept. The space looks like it won't have as many tables. As for the bar, I don't want to eat my food at the bar. I don't want ANY tvs. They've drastically decreased their sides. I'm concerned that they'll change their recipes after the move (I've seen it happen before when restaurants decided it was not financially feasible to offer homemade sides and went to pre-made/in-a-bag/frozen sides because their lease rates increased).

It is what it is though. If they don't catch on in Lyndon with this weird mishmash of diner/bar food, they will wind up like a lot of restaurants that tried to go upscale only to find their doors closed soon thereafter. Even if they were forced to move (as appears to be the case here), they could have maintained what made them so popular in the first place.

I'm sad about it. I'm sad about the death of diners in Louisville. Maybe I should have a word with the folks at Ramsey's in Lexington about expanding to Louisville. There's a market for diners here if the money people would just see it.
Next