Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville dining 60 years ago

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Louisville dining 60 years ago

by Robin Garr » Mon May 15, 2023 12:20 pm

What was Louisville dining scene like 60 years ago?

This Courier-Journal full-page ad from October 13, 1963 offers a clue. Spotted on the Louisville Thru The Years Facebook group, titled "Enjoy a Family Adventure, Your Guide to Good Eating. October is National Restaurant Month," the ad features a grid of 20 small restaurant ads includes a few places I've heard of, one or two that lasted into our times, and a fair number that I don't remember at all!

How about you? Tell us about your memories of these places (or your parents' memories), with extra points if you remember some of the more obscure spots.

Forgotten restaurants1.jpg
Gone and sort of forgotten
(329.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Gruber's Restaurant, House of sauerbraten and wiener schnitzel, 2461 Bardstown Road
Kaelin's, Featuring Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken, 1801 Newburg Road
Kunz's The Dutchman, 526 S. Fourth St.
Leo's Hideaway, New Location, 412 W. Chestnut St.
Howard Johnson's, Eastern Parkway, Shelbyville Road, Dixie Highway, Jeffersonville, Ind.
Savarin Restaurant, Ky. Fair & Exposition Center
The Colonnade Cafeteria, Starks Building, Lower Level
Hickory House Famous Hickory Smoked Pit Barbecue, Taylorsville Road at Bardstown Road
Chas Simon's Delicatessen, Enjoy the Best Always, 1603 Bardstown Road
Hasenour's, Dining and Cocktail Lounge, Barret and Oak
Longino's, Good Home Cooked Food, 3503 Poplar Level Road
Ranch House Restaurants, eight locations
Lee Anna Restaurant, for your dining pleasure, the home of broasted chicken, 2700 Crittenden Drive
Blue Boar Cafeterias
Gardner's, Food at its finest to please any appetite, 6281 Strawberry Lane
Casa Grisanti, Excellent Italian Food served in an Atmospher of Old ITaly, 1000 Fehr Ave.
Executive Inn, The Cleopatra Room, for a memorable dinner as timeless as the pyramids, Just off the Watterson Expressway near the Fairgrounds Entrance.
The Embers, Dancing Camilla Wilde Trio Nightly, 448 S. Fifth St.
Frisch's Big Boy restaurants, The Ideal Place for Family Dining, 11 locations.
Li'l Abner's, Kentucky's Most Intriguing Family Restaurant, 2345 Lexington Road at Grinstead Drive.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Louisville dining 60 years ago

by Rich S » Mon May 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I was intrigued by the mention of Li’l Abner’s — I used to read that Al Capp comic strip as a kid — so I did some digging in the Courier Journal archives. The restaurant opened in the early 1960s on Lexington Road just west of Grinstead Drive (the building later became Jim Porter’s). It was part of a chain of Li’l Abner restaurants; the first one was in suburban Chicago. The menu was supposed to include items like “presarved turnip relish,” with the building furnished “Dogpatch style.”

By 1964 the owner of the Louisville restaurant, Richard Cleaves, had dropped his connection with the chain and renamed the place Big Abner’s.

Also in 1964, Cleaves was trying to create his own restaurant chain: Mammy’s Old Kaintucky Kitchin. According to a CJ story, the first one was going to be built on Poplar Level Road next to the then-new St. Xavier High School. I couldn’t find any later stories, so I don’t know if it actually opened. Maybe some St. X grads will know.

(Edited to add link to photo)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/562457440938771573/
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Mon May 15, 2023 8:40 pm

The Hickory House! I forgot about that place. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid. It was located on Taylorsville Road near Bardstown road, I think next to the McDonald's where First Watch is now. I loved their huge, fat hotdogs.

They also had a sit-down arcade style game for a while. I forget the name of it but I remember playing it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 am

Loved the Hickory House, especially the tiny, stone walled room in the back with the slanted ceiling. We used to go because it was the only place my mom could get lamb.

Lil Abners was a special treat too. Dad would take me on a special occation (like my birthday) and order a Nightmare Alice. It was a huge sundae big enough to feed the table. They dimmed the restaurant lights and brought it to the table adorned with sparklers.

Does anyone remember The Sea Queen on Taylorsville Rd ( it was in a strip center just a few doors down from Air Devil's Inn.)?

Or The Essex House on Bardstown Rd at the Watternson? It was the original restaurant of the Flaherty brothers and it got them a guest spot on I've Got a Secret.

Or The Glass House located someplace along 65 . It's draw was an inside, 2-story lollipop tree with lollies as big as dinner plates.

Then there was that smallish restaurant on Shelbyville Rd that was some sort of supperclub that required men to wear jackets and ties and would supply them with one if they came in without. The Embassy Club!

What I DO remember is that there were very very few restaurants that you could take your family to that served cocktails and had a sit at bar. And women were not allowed to sit at the bar if they did have one. (A sure admission of being a prostitute!) It wasn't until around 1970 when Steak N' Ale came to Dupont Center that "family bar/restaurant" became popular. Prior to that Howard Johnsons did have wine (by the glass only) on their menu. In 1974 I bartended at Victoria Station (real presentation bartending not just a bar back or pouring fountain drinks during the day). There were only about 4 women bartenders in all of Louisville and Vic Station emplyed 2 of them. (Progressive, California chain that they were. ) And even THEN there was a politicain running for office whose main agenda was to make it illegal for women to bartend.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 am

Rich S wrote:I was intrigued by the mention of Li’l Abner’s — I used to read that Al Capp comic strip as a kid .....

hey RIch! here's a bit more "Lil Abner" info from a "veteran"!
Virtually everything there was way over-sized - - burgers, sides, etc. But the "pièce de résistance" was an ice cream Sunday called the "Big Stanislaus". My recollection is that it contained one quart each of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, a bottle of chocolate syrup, a can of chopped nuts, a can of whipped cream, 3-4 bananas, etc. You get the picture! It was served in a massive metal bowl and had a number of lit sparklers stuck in it when it arrived at the table.
But here was the trick...if you FINISHED this "treat" - - and by "finished" it meant, all of the melted stuff was poured in to a milkshake glass to be consumed, as well! - - two things....(a.) your name was put on a plaque above the front door AND you got a second one free!
Yes, I did eat one and got my name up there.
No, I never utilized my cert for the free one!
Ah, memories of Lil Abners!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Thu May 18, 2023 9:15 am

Carla G wrote:Loved the Hickory House...
Loved the Hickory House, too! It's where I was first introduced to the *real* Chess Pie! Not "Chocolate Chess", not "Lemon Chess"....*REAL* Chess pie! And to this day, it's the best slice of Chess Pie I've ever had!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Thu May 18, 2023 9:23 am

and one more little gem that wasn't mentioned in the list was a small chain of coffee shop type places called "Dobbs House". What they had that was so extraordinary was an item called "Black-Bottom Pie". Absolutely delicious stuff!
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Fri May 19, 2023 7:21 pm

I might be wrong but wasn’t there a Blue Boar place in Oxmoor many years ago? The older I get the more my memory gets hazy%!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 21, 2023 2:05 pm

Tony G wrote:I might be wrong but wasn’t there a Blue Boar place in Oxmoor many years ago? The older I get the more my memory gets hazy%!

Tony, I think that was in the St. Matthews Mall, maybe even before Oxmoor was built. It was famous mostly because Colonel Sanders would eat there most Sundays, driving up in his Rolls-Royce with his face on the door. :lol:
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Mon May 22, 2023 2:13 pm

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/2 ... us-60.html
Here is a history of the Blue Boar at Oxmoor. . . .

OXMOOR CENTER
Shelbyville Road / US 60 and Oxmoor Lane
Louisville, Kentucky

The third major shopping mall in Greater Louisville was built on a 75-acre parcel, located 6.5 miles east of the Derby City's downtown area. The fully-enclosed complex was designed by Herman Guttman of Los Angeles' Victor Gruen Associates. It was developed by a joint venture of Louisville's Bullitt Family Trust-Beargrass Corporation and Seattle's SafeCo Insurance-Winmar Company.

The OXMOOR CENTER parcel was adjacent to the Henry Watterson Expressway (Interstate 264). It was part of the 940-acre Oxmoor Estate and was leased for operation of the mall. Originally encompassing approximately 650,000 leasable square feet, OXMOOR CENTER consisted of a main Mall Level and Upper Level, which surrounded its Center Court.

The first operational store, a 2-level (183,300 square foot), Cincinnati-based Shillito's, began business on August 10, 1970. The mall -and a 2-level (156,000 square foot), Louisville-based Stewart's- were officially dedicated on February 8, 1971. On hand for the grand opening was Cynthia Ann Bostick, "Miss Kentucky 1970," who cut a ceremonial ribbon.

Charter tenants at OXMOOR CENTER included Lerner Shops, Thom McAn Shoes, B. Dalton Bookseller, Rodes men's, Byck's, Loevenhart's, Disc Records, Zales Jewelers, the Oxmoor Smoke Shop and a Blue Boar Cafeteria.

The Mid-States Theatres Oxmoor Twin Cinemas showed its first features on February 16, 1971. This venue was joined by a second complex, which was installed on the second floor of the shopping center. After this new 3-plex opened, on August 30, 1974, both venues were promoted as the Mid-States Theatres Oxmoor Center Cinemas 1-2-3-4-5. The new Upper Level movie complex was adjacent to the Putter's Park indoor golf course and a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant.

Shopping malls in the vicinity of OXMOOR CENTER included THE MALL / MALL ST. MATTHEWS (1962) {.8 of a mile west, in St. Matthews}, GREEN TREE MALL (1968) {9.3 miles northwest, in Clarksville, Indiana}, BASHFORD MANOR MALL (1973-2004) {4.1 miles southwest, in West Beuchel}, RACELAND MALL (1975) {4.3 miles southwest, in Jefferson County} and MIDDLETOWN STATION (1990-2008) {4.9 miles east, also in Jefferson County}.

The first expansion of OXMOOR CENTER developed the southern half of the mall site, bridging the Middle Fork of Beargrass Creek with a 201,600 square foot South Wing. Anchored by a 1-level (139,800 square foot) Sears "Store of the Future", the South Wing was christened on July 31, 1984. It enlarged the tenant roster to 126 stores and services.

Work on a subsequent renovation commenced in June 1989. The project included an interior face lift and installation of the 10-bay Oxmoor Gardens Food Court in Upper Level space. Center Court was also reconfigured with a glass elevator and new escalators and skylights were added to mallway ceilings. The retail hub was re-dedicated on November 15, 1989.

Anchor rebrandings commenced with the conversion of Shillito's to a Shillito Rikes, in June 1982. This store morphed into a Lazarus on March 16, 1986, Lazarus-Macy's on August 1, 2003 and bona fide Macy's on March 12, 2005. At some point in time, the store had a third level added, which increased its size to 271,300 square feet.

The Stewart's store's first nameplate change was completed on November 1, 1985, when Indianapolis-based L.S. Ayres assumed the space. The 1986 merger of Associated Dry Goods with May Department stores resulted in a deal to sell the Louisville Ayres stores the Ben Snyder's chain (another Louisville-based retailer).

Ben Snyder's was acquired by Allentown, Pennsylvania-based Hess's the day before the deal was to close. Amazingly enough, the Louisville Ayres stores were rebranded, with Ben Snyder's nameplates, on September 3, 1987. Only 5 months later, on February 1, 1988, a Hess's nameplate was installed. This store was in operation until August 1, 1993.

Stewart's old store at OXMOOR CENTER was rebranded again in November 1994, when Jackson, Michigan-based Jacobson's moved in. This store lasted until September 2002. The most recent rebranding was done by Davenport, Iowa-based Von Maur, who renovated the building and opened for business on September 20, 2003.

The mall had been given a major renovation between November 1997 and November 1998. The 15 million dollar project revamped the north-facing front of the shopping hub, creating an exterior-entranced Streetscape out of a windowless concrete wall.

A new, tree-lined entry from Shelbyville Road was installed, which converged on a 3-story, octagonal atrium mall entrance. Common areas inside OXMOOR CENTER were also revamped, with new flooring installed throughout. Center Court was completely reconfigured, with a new fountain and escalator. This ascended to a remodeled Food Court. The cinema spaces on the Upper and Lower Levels, by now vacant, were repurposed. The Upper Level space became inline stores and offices. The Lower Level area became part of a new Old Navy store.

Meanwhile, a new lifestyle-type complex had arrived. THE SUMMIT LOUISVILLE {4.3 miles northeast, in Jefferson County} held its grand opening in November 2001. As a competitive measure, a second expansion of OXMOOR CENTER had been done. Dedicated on October 29, 2001, the project added a 2-level (80,000 square foot), Galyan's Trading Company. Stores in the Galyan's chain (an Indiana-based athletic equipment retailer) were rebranded by Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2004.

For most of its history, OXMOOR CENTER was owned and operated by the Bullitt Family Trust-Beargrass Corporation and Seattle's SafeCo-Winmar conglomerate. In 1999, Owensboro, Kentucky's David Hocker & Associates attempted, unsuccessfully, to buy SafeCo's fifty-percent share.

After the failed transaction, the Beargass Corporation established full ownership of the mall and installed Hocker & Associates as the property manager and leasing agent. The owner of Hocker & Associates succeeded in buying the mall structure (but not the land) in May 2003 and sold the property to Maryland's Rouse Company, in October 2004.

The holdings of the Rouse Company, including OXMOOR CENTER, were acquired by Chicago's General Growth Properties in November 2004. GGP also assumed ownership of the neighboring MALL ST. MATTHEWS. Hence an ongoing 30-year rivalry between the two malls was finally laid to rest.

In the 2010s, OXMOOR CENTER encompassed approximately 960,000 leasable square feet and contained 110 stores and services. An interior face lift got underway in February 2013 and was finished in November. This entailed demolition of the mall's Upper Level / Food Court area and another reconstruction of Center Court. Food vendors were relocated throughout the main level of the mall, with new casual dining restaurants joining the tenant list.

Brookfield Property Partners, based in Hamilton, Bermuda, acquired a share of General Growth Properties in 2016. In August 2018, Brookfield established 100-percent ownership of the corporation. Hence, OXMOOR CENTER became part of the Brookfield retail center portfolio.

Meanwhile, Sears shuttered their OXMOOR store on January 14, 2018. A plan was drawn up to replace the vacant building -and a section of the South Wing- with a 3-level (65,000 square foot) Topgolf Driving Range. This plan was met with a great deal of community opposition. After 3 years of litigation, and a ruling by the Kentucky Supreme Court, demolition finally commenced in September 2021. The facility opened for business on November 18, 2022.

Sources:

The Courier-Journal
http://pastperfectvintage.com/louisvillestores.htm
www.bizjournals.com
http://movie-theatre.org / Mike Rivest
www.ggp.com (General Growth Properties)
https://www.wlky.com
https://www.oxmoorcenter.com
https://www.topgolflouisville.com
https://www.wdrb.com
"Oxmoor Center" article on Wikipedia
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 24, 2023 6:39 am

Lora, thanks! I sure thought I remembered it in the St. Matthews Mall, but I guess the memory must be the second thing to go!
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Wed May 24, 2023 6:12 pm

I know this place wasn’t mentioned but my first job was as a dishwasher at New Orleans East near the corner of Hurstbourne and Shelbyville Rd. I have no idea how old New Orleans House and New Orleans East were. But it was a buffet where everyone got a new plate every time! It kept me as the only dishwasher extremely busy! They would let us workers eat anything we wanted while working except steak and lobster. I would eat the fantastic garlic bread and shrimp all night long! We started at 4 in the afternoon and 6-8 of us would shuck these HUGE oysters every once in a while someone would open a rotten oyster and it made me gag! LOL. The smell was SO BAD! Several of us would find raw pearls in the shell. I still remember how big those oysters were. This was around 1976. Great food and we had fun working hard. Don’t know who owned them or what happened to the 2 restaurants. Great memories.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 am

Tony, the OG New Orleans House was downtown! But it moved out to Hurstbourne sometime in the '80s? I don't recall exactly when it closed, but an Indian place moved in there from Buechel, and later moved on to become Taj Palace on Goose Creek. I don't know how I remember as much of this stuff as I do, but I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of details also.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu May 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Didn't The Colonnade have a location on Dutchman's at one time? I could have sworn my co-workers and I ate there at least once in the mid-90s. When it left, Red Lobster moved in and then later moved across Breckinridge Lane in the former Chinese buffet building).

I miss cafeterias somewhat. The food was never jaw-dropping amazing, but it was nice to just walk down a line and get whatever I wanted, instead of gorging at places like Bonanza and Golden Corral.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Sun May 28, 2023 5:50 am

Terri, you're correct, there was a Collanade on Dutchmans, at least in teh late '90's when I came back here. Seems like it was sandwiched in between Denny's and Hooters!
And I always noticed that most of teh diners there - and at other cafeteria-style places (Blue Boar, etc.) - were senior citizens, mostly WWII gen. I think they just enjoyed seeing their food (and portion sizes) before getting it. At least it was so for my mom and pop.