Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Requiring a c.c. deposit to get a reservation (dur

by Willie Myers » Fri May 05, 2023 9:42 am

Don't know how many of you might follow the "Louisville Take Out" group on FaceBook, but I thought this was an interesting thread over there. It's about restaurants requiring c.c. deposits, prior to giving a reservation - - particularly during Derby. The general consensus seemed to be that it's not uncommon - - nor really, unreasonable - - during Derby, *BUT* other than then, it's a terrible policy. I made a comment that whenever I reject a demand for a c.c. deposit to get a reservation, I make very sure that the restaurant understands *why* I'm taking my custom elsewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968864 ... 8679794533
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Requiring a c.c. deposit to get a reservation (dur

by Robin Garr » Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am

Thanks, Willie. I do understand why restaurants here to that during Derby Week. Failure-to-show rezzes are pandemic, and they have a right not to sit looking at empty tables on one of the busiest days of the year.

I agree about doing it year-round, though. That's too pushy for me.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 05, 2023 8:24 pm

I agree completely about why they do it during derby season, too many people make multiple reservations and then decided last minute where they want to go. This leaves the restaurants with empty tables and loss of revenue. During the rest of the year I don't think many if any of them do it on a regular basis, again there may be a few special occasions they do it for but not on a regular basis.

Does anyone know of any local restaurants who Req it regularly?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat May 06, 2023 9:00 am

I've seen this from one local restaurant for Valentine's Day, where they charge a $50 fee for no-show. I totally get it for special occasions. I don't understand no-shows... Canceling seems like an easy process with OpenTable where you can cancel through text message.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon May 08, 2023 11:31 am

just tried to book at "North of Bourbon" for mid-week....
"There are tables available, but this restaurant requires a credit card to make a reservation."....
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed May 10, 2023 9:59 am

I feel like I've had to leave one for Jeff Ruby's (but I could be wrong!) and also for some special occasions such as Mother's Day brunches certain places.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei