Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Colonial Gardens takes another hit.

by Mark R. » Tue May 02, 2023 4:31 pm

Taco Luchador announced today that they were closing their restaurant in Colonial Gardens, they were actually 1 of the 1st tenants in the development.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Colonial Gardens takes another hit.

by Robin Garr » Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 am

I saw an interesting thread on this in Reddit, a place that I rarely go. I'll try to find a link later and post it here.

Short summary, very few posters in a crowd of mostly declared Southenders see a fundamental problem with Colonial Gardens. Most blamed Fernando's politics. A few suspected high rent. But no one really saw Colonian Gardens as a failure. Just reporting here, don't shoot the messenger. ;)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed May 03, 2023 7:07 am

The establishments were good selections but nothing unique. In other words, there was no reason to drive out that way to go to any of these places. I guess that during the summer months when the park is busy and people can dine and drink outside, these places could hold their own. But over the course of a full year and winter months that is another story. They would need folks from other parts of the city, not just from nearby to sustain a viable level of volume.

We were out that way a number of times, over the course of the past few years to walk in the park. We never stopped by Colonial Gardens to eat or drink even once. This was for no particular reason. Perhaps its a matter of habit, setting, or even inspiration.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 03, 2023 9:11 am

Here's a link to that Reddit thread. It's pretty active with 119 comments now. Not all of equal value, of course ...

Taco Luchador closes its Colonial Gardens restaurant
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed May 03, 2023 2:56 pm

I don’t know if it’s related to the closing of the Colonial Gardens restaurant, but Taco Luchador is taking over the old Royals location in the heart of Jeffersontown — they put up signs recently. I assume they’ll close the current J-town location (near Mussel and Burger Bar) since it’s only a couple miles away.

And this may not be the only new Taco Luchador. WAVE’s story quoted a statement from the company that said: “Please keep your eyes open for announcements about other Taco Luchador locations opening soon.”  
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 am

Rich S wrote:I don’t know if it’s related to the closing of the Colonial Gardens restaurant, but Taco Luchador is taking over the old Royals location in the heart of Jeffersontown ... 

Am I mistaken, or didn't Royals also close a location on Shelbyville Road near Middletown? I like Royals a lot better than Luchador, but two closings doesn't seem good.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri May 05, 2023 11:13 am

Robin Garr wrote:Am I mistaken, or didn't Royals also close a location on Shelbyville Road near Middletown? I like Royals a lot better than Luchador, but two closings doesn't seem good.

Yes, Royals closed its restaurant on Shelbyville at Moser Road a while back (and House of Marigold just opened there). I believe Royals has only one location left, in Nulu.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 pm

In half a dozen visits to the Shelbyville Rd Royals, it was never busy.

In a few dozen visits to the Nulu spot, it's never not been busy.

I can't think why it'd be so different, but I understand the closing, given the disparity.