Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

Question about sending back food

by Michele Cull » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I ordered a Hot Brown for lunch at a well known locally owned restaurant today. When the server brought it out, it was orange!?! Would I have been wrong to send it back? (I ate it, even though it wasn't 'my' idea of a Hot Brown. The turkey tasted like school lunch turkey roll - another issue altogether.)

Thanks for your thoughts!
MissChele
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:36 pm

I have no problem sending food back that is:

1. Spoiled or off in some way that makes it unedible or unsafe

2. Cooked incorrectly...ie. I ordered rare and it's well done

I don't generally send back food that is not to my liking if it's "the way they do it" and it's just not my thing. In that case I generally in a nice way let the wait staff know my feelings.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Question about sending back food

by Kurt R. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Michele Cull wrote:I ordered a Hot Brown for lunch at a well known locally owned restaurant today. When the server brought it out, it was orange!?! Would I have been wrong to send it back? (I ate it, even though it wasn't 'my' idea of a Hot Brown. The turkey tasted like school lunch turkey roll - another issue altogether.)

Michele, I guess I probably would have tried it, even though it was not what I expected. Once you determined the turkey was low quality, you should have asked to see the manager and explained that it was not what you had expected, but you gave it a shot. You were not satisfied and could you get something else. It would be totally acceptable.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:05 pm

In general if an item is not as expected I will tell the waitstaff politely my concerns. Nine times out of 10 they will ask if I'd like something else to replace it which I usually accept. This way they are the one suggesting a replacement.

Of course if there's something obviously wrong with the item, overcooked or whenever I'll just be straightforward and ask for it to be replaced (usually with the same item).
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm

A lot of places top their hot brown with a dash of paprika for color. That might explain the orange. The poor quality turkey is another matter.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Michele Cull wrote:I ordered a Hot Brown for lunch at a well known locally owned restaurant today. When the server brought it out, it was orange!?! Would I have been wrong to send it back? (I ate it, even though it wasn't 'my' idea of a Hot Brown. The turkey tasted like school lunch turkey roll - another issue altogether.)

Could you name the place, please?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:20 am

Could also depend on the cheese blend for the mornay sauce. I've seen it done with cheddar before and that caused the sauce to be orange (and a bit too oily for my taste)

The rules for sending back are pretty much what Mark said as far as I am concerned.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Hot Brown color

by jpdurbin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am

Anoosh used to put Cayan pepper in his adding color too.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

It was Cunningham's. Pretty sure it was the cheesey sauce they used. Just not what I'm accustomed to. As I said I did go ahead and eat it, but wouldn't have it again. Should have gone for the fish sandwich, I guess.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:12 am

Cheese costs have skyrocketed so much in the past few months. I think some places are pushing the envelope as to where and how they can save costs. There's just some dishes where you can't skimp and get away with it.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

by Dan L. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 pm

I had considered starting a similar post but thought I should utilize an existing post if possible. I recently had a mixed experience at a Louisville Original where I was served an outstanding salad followed by an entree which contained two pieces of bone-in chicken. One piece was cooked and one was raw. Is it typical for a restaurant to take something which has been cut or torn into and cook it further, then re-serve?
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Are you saying they recooked the raw chicken you sent back and then reserved it to you?
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

by Dan L. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Leah, that's exactly what I'm saying happened. It was a piece of chicken that had been cut and torn which they returned to the kitchen, cooked further, and re-served to me torn/cut side up.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 am

Name names please.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 am

Most places I've worked at do that, particularly with steaks. If you cut it and it's not what you want, it makes sense to throw it back on the grill for a second.
Next