Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Places with a shady past

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Places with a shady past

by Carla G » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:46 am

Recent posts about old restaurants got me thinking about some others from my childhood. Not the "feel good" places as mentioned in another posted string, but rather those restaurants with a mystique about them. The clientle that was just a bit shady. You know, where meetings went down and business was conducted. I'm not talking about places with illeagle activities taking place in them, just those that acted as, maybe, an outside office for some people. A place where you could always find someone interesting.

We've all heard stories about The Seelbach and The Brown Hotel but I think Louisville has a bunch of other places with interesting pedigrees. Places like Cunninghams when it was originally on York and had private dining rooms upstairs.( I sat in those private rooms many times with my dad and a coloring book while meetings were held. ) Or the Air Devil Inn (back in the 50s) with the almost parade of pilots going in and out. As a kid I loved listening to those pilots with their adventure stories from around the world! Even now I love sitting in old, history laden places like that and thinking , "if these walls could talk."
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Places with a shady past

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:46 am

There is supposedly one infamous booth at Porcini ... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

Re: Places with a shady past

by Lora S » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:27 am

I don’t know about “shady” but I bet quite a few “settlements” were worked out at holly’s legal eagle bar and right around the corner and down a stair or two at Mazonni’s Oysters!