Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Magic spots

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Magic spots

by Carla G » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 am

Robin recently did a review of Con Huevos here on LHB. In the reviews he prompts the question "What do I like so much about Con Huevos?" His answer didn't go into menu items or presentation, not about food quality or service. Instead Robin said simply,
"...it's a happy place."

I LOVE those sorts of establishments! Where you go in and you KNOW (no matter what the menu is, how the food looks when you get it, who serves it to you or whatever ) it's going to be a fine meal simply because you felt good when you walked through their doors. Just being there , in that space, in that ambiance, flips all your switches to "happy place".

My place is The Irish Rover. The menu isn't really trend setting (anymore) rather more comfort offering, homey. I arrive, sit down and all the tension I might have had just leaves and I am relaxed and happy.

Do you have a place like that? A restaurant where the food may not boggle your mind, (in fact the menu may not have been up dated as of late), the decor says comfort instead of uptown but you, just by being there, feel yourself in a better space with a brighter glow? Where you don't have to act or be "on" for the observation of others. Where you can just be, there, in your happy space?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

Re: Magic spots

by Michele Janosek » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:25 am

What a fun question! For us, comfort usually equals Italian. Silvio's is our go-to for our dining "happy place". The food is clearly made with a lot of love and the ambiance is always a fun and comfortable vibe. There is something about the Sinatra music playing & the wine served in juice glasses that brings us back to a neighborhood gem under the "El" in Ridgewood, Queens.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:27 am

When the weather is nice, we'll often just head to Captain's Quarters and sit outside by the river. We people watch, have an adult beverage (or two), and just relax. We know we're going to get acceptable food (and don't worry that place X has a better fish sandwich, or place Y a better salad, or Z has my favorite bourbon brand) because the setting, the river, the food, the drink, the music wafting in from the bar area, all goes together and we will leave feeling relaxed and happy while spending less than a fortune for the experience!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:42 pm

Great question, Carla! I agree with you totally about Irish Rover, and I'd add Seviche when I want to go upscale. I'll bet I could think of a ton more.

Hmm, keep 'em coming. This might be NEXT week's column! :lol:
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:35 pm

Pho Cafe on Bardstown Road. Go in there more than once and they'll recognize you, soon by name, and remember what you like and don't like. They know where you like to sit. They know I like extra napkins. :D It's like Cheers! They never try and hustle you out even when they are busy. They always keep your drink topped off. The food is consistently stellar and generously portioned. Chef Tuan always makes time to stop by the tables and say hi, making sure you've enjoyed your meal. Truly my happy place. I don't eat out as much since COVID came to town, but Pho Cafe is a nearly weekly excursion for me.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:24 pm

I'd say Comeback Inn. The portions are generous, and I've never had a bad meal there.

Another one that's a little more expensive is Difabio's on Frankfort Ave. Never had a bad meal, the waiters are friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere is relaxing.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:47 pm

I would say hours is probably Selena's since it's almost next door but there are many in town that could fall into that category. Whenever we go into Selena's they always know if by name and know where we want to sit. Also just about everyone in the kitchen staff comes out to see us one time or another during our dinner.

They also have a very nice outside area including a Koi pond to sit around when the weather's nice. Of course the fireplace and inside atmosphere make it seem very homey also. The only problem is the restaurant has become so popular it's hard to find parking and get in the door sometimes!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:27 pm

Carla G wrote: My place is The Irish Rover.

Carla, ya beat me to it!!
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:34 pm

Great topic, Carla! The place that comes to mind for me is The Uptown Cafe. No question. It checks all the boxes you list. We find consistently good food and comfortable atmosphere. The staff recognizes us, and, as a bonus, it’s almost within walking distance.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:56 am

Ah, the Germans (of course) have the perfect word for it: gemütlichkeit. And sadly, the place that filled that bill for me is no more. I'll never stop missing Gasthaus.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am

It's the Rover for me also.

Our all-time favorite happy place, where we felt at home and "everyone knew our name," was Baxter Station. I miss that place!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:51 am

After reading all of these posts, I got to say, I agree with all the places mentioned. Baxter Station, Selina's, Come Back Inn, are all places that fit the bill for me as well. Makes me wonder, what is that spark that they all have to cause such devotion? The wait staff? They can be pretty transient. The food is, of course, wildly variable. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's a couple things...
First, the size of the place. Places that seat in the 75-100 diners make for more intimacy.
Second, I think is the lighting. Exact lighting is often a back of the mind notion but it is crucial in establishing ambiance. So places that are bright and sunlit during lunch and yet subdued with an almost "campfire light" atmosphere in the evening.
But I'm just guessing.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson