Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Our critic shares a few secrets of the food writers

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:38 am

Our critic shares a few secrets of the food writers

How our critic handles portion control at work: One churro eaten while hot and delicious. Five more reserved to take home and enjoy later.

While I was power-walking a mile the other morning, I plugged in The Dailypodcast from The New York Times and realized to my delight that they were interviewing one of my favorite food critics: The Times’ Pete Wells.

All right! That put a little more bounce in my step. I really like Pete Wells, and if I don’t exactly model my writing chops on Pete, I do like his work. I enjoyed hearing him chatting with The Daily’s host, Michael Barbaro, about his craft as a food writer, his love of food, and how everything changed when the pandemic hit New York City.

I thought about this, and I thought, “Hmmm.” I’m no Pete Wells. I don’t have Pete’s budget, and I’m arguably not as funny. Still, in the context of that interview, I had a thought: Why not share a few things you might not know about my approach to restaurant writing in Louisville?

Is it a full-time job? Nope.

One doesn’t get rich at this game, or at least I don’t. When I became restaurant critic at The Louisville Times in 1984, my weekly fee was near the lower end of the two-figures range. They did pay my dining expenses, though, for which I was more than grateful, and that continued, somewhat to my surprise, even after Gannett Corp. took over the newspaper.

Nevertheless, I left the building and restaurant column behind in 1990, blasting off for New York City and a job with a national non-profit. I free-lanced on the side; and when I returned to Louisville in 1994, I started LouisvilleHotBytes.com.

As a self-employed food writer I still fall well short of making a full-time living from this part-time gig. I pay my own expenses now, so considering inflation, I probably don’t make much more than I did at The Times in the ‘80s. But I love this job, and I hope it shows.

Pete Wells obviously loves his job too, but he’s doing a bit better in Gotham. “By the end of a week I will have signed off on some check that’s shocking, $600 or $700 or $800 or $900,” he told interviewer Barbaro. “It’s a very large sum … and that’s just how it’s going to be.”

It must be nice, Pete!

How do you decide where to eat?

Good question! People used to assume that publisher Barry Bingham Jr. sent down specific instructions, because people thought he told us how to cover the news, too. Nope. I make the picks. I listen to your suggestions. I keep an eye on interesting new places, so if I hear a buzz, I get over there ASAP and let you know what I found.

Thanks to a limited budget – even more so since the pandemic – I most often focus on good cheap eats. Fancy, high-end spots are harder to fit into my spending plan. Anyway, I’d usually rather explore a new taqueria or Indian spot or maybe something from a cuisine I haven’t sampled before. But every now and then I’ll find my way to a fancy new spot or pricey old favorite.

Do you dine anonymously?

Like most food critics, as much so as I can. I don’t wear disguises, or at least I’m not going to tell you if I do. I don’t reserve in my own name. I don’t use my photo on most social media. I don’t take notes or talk to a hidden recorder, and I’m grateful that I’m no longer the only person taking photos of my food in this age of Instagram.

I know that after all these years some of the city’s longtime chefs – and more than a few servers – recognize me. If I see someone I’ve met hovering nervously, I’ll gently advise them, “treat me like a normal customer. One sign of special treatment, and the review gets canned.” This usually seems to work.

Where did you learn how to do this stuff?

Like most restaurant critics – Pete Wells included – I’ve had no formal training. As a reporter at The Times, I came to the job as a reporter covering a story, and experience was the best teacher.

Having come of age in the era of Julia Child and James Beard, I liked to eat and I enjoyed cooking. I studied food, food policy, food history and more. And I pushed for local, organic, and healthy fare before those things were cool.

How often do you eat out?

Unlike Pete Wells, I don’t have the budget to dine several times before writing my review. But I dine with at least one companion, often more. We’ll sample main dishes, apps, a salad or side dish, maybe a dessert. If something seems really off, I’ll make a judgment call and either bag the review, come back another time, and, if the problem appears to be systemic and intractable, warn you off.

How much do you weigh?

Ha! I came to the job years ago as a skinny young reporter. That didn’t last! It didn’t take long to learn that I couldn’t eat all those restaurant meals without consequences. I’ve endured the familiar gain, diet, lose, gain, with a closet full of clothes in various sizes. During the last decade, though no longer either young or skinny, I think I’ve finally got that battle under control. My weight fits my height again with a body-mass index around 22. But it’s not easy.

I eat frugally at home and practice strict portion control while dining out. In my reviews I choose one vegetarian or vegan entree along for every carnivorous main dish, recognizing the growing audience for plant-based lifestyles. And I power-walk a mile every day before breakfast, on my way to getting 8,000 steps or more by day’s end.

Still think you’d like to be a food writer? Are you sure?

Read this article on LouisvilleHotBytes:
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/crit ... od-writers

You'll also find this commentary in LEO Weekly online later this week:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Our critic shares a few secrets of the food writers

by James Natsis » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks Robin. I enjoyed this. I found it to be quite insightful.
James J. Natsis
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:41 pm

Yes, per James’ post, a fascinating pull-back-the-curtain read. A BMI of 22 is impressive and congrats on that.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:40 am

Thanks, Jay, and James, too. Just about every restaurant writer I've ever known has piled on the pounds, and it's fun for a while. If you want to do it long-term, though, you've really got to start taking care of yourself. I guess that goes for all of us, now that I think about it! :D
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks, Jay, and James, too. Just about every restaurant writer I've ever known has piled on the pounds, and it's fun for a while. If you want to do it long-term, though, you've really got to start taking care of yourself. I guess that goes for all of us, now that I think about it! :D

Adam Richman pulled out of Man vs Food and competitive eating due to weight and health issues. Casey Webb seems to be oblivious to health concerns.

Interestingly, the "Tsunami," Takeru Kobayashi, weighed about 130 lbs when he was the hot dog eating champion among other competitive eating feats. The guy defied the laws of nature and even had a ripped stomach during his prime. The longtime champ who dethroned Kobayashi, Joey Chestnut, reportedly weighed 225–240 lbs during his career. He was not an excessively heavy guy for the amount of food he consumed competitively. Go figure.
James J. Natsis