Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Nostalgic

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Nostalgic

by Carla G » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 pm

Anybody seen a menu for this new cafe set to open Valentine's Day on Bardstown Rd near the Highlands? I haven't been able to find one.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Nostalgic

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:03 pm

What's the name of it?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:24 am

It's name is Nostalgic.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am

Carla, I believe Nostalgic is in the historic old BellSouth building right across the street from the Highlands Bristol. It's owned by the same people as Naive in Butchertown. See a naming pattern going on there? 8)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:36 am

PS: 1306 Bardstown Road.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:39 am

Here's their website and Instagram, but there's nothing much on them just yet.

https://www.eatnostalgic.com/

https://www.instagram.com/eatnostalgic/
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:54 am

I couldn't find a menu, but the Courier Journal did a story a few days ago about Nostalgic. It's behind the paywall, but here's some of what it says about the planned food and drinks:

The new restaurant, Nostalgic, will open at 1306 Bardstown Road in Louisville on Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, and focus on "comfort food through childhood classics." Owner Catherine MacDowall, who also owns Naive at 1001 E. Washington St., said it's been in the works for two years.

"Our idea is to serve the high and low, without any pretension," she said. "I have found that in times of stress or celebration, people want to tap into their fondest memories, which are usually childhood memories. And no other restaurant here is focusing on this sort of twist. We want to create a balance between memories and elegance and being whimsical and light-hearted."

Menu items will mimic popular dishes of the past, but with a refined, upscale, farm-to-table flavor profile. Potato skins, but topped with caviar. Tuna and crackers, but made with fancy, fresh tuna. A hot pocket, but made with the freshest, locally-sourced meats and cheeses. A dirt cup, but made with avocado mousse, crushed hazelnut butter and candied orange peels instead of gummy worms.

The more playful dishes will be balanced out by standard chophouse entrees like confit duck, steak, oysters, seafood and burgers. Naive executive chef Drew Corman is designing the menu alongside MacDowell.

[ ... ]

Meanwhile, the cocktail list — titled "The Drinks That Made Us" — has been designed by longtime Louisville beverage director Eron Plevan, who is serving as interim beverage director at Nostalgic in its opening months. Part of the menu will feature classic cocktails throughout cocktail history, from an Old Fashioned to a dirty martini and a tropical drink and a sbagliato on draft. The other half of the menu will be filled with nostalgic drinks inspired by childhood treats, like a sour cherry warhead sour margarita, a yogurt ube fizz and drinks capturing Rice Krispy Treats, circus animal crackers, Teddy Grahams and gushers.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:14 pm

Rich S wrote:...The other half of the menu will be filled with nostalgic drinks inspired by childhood treats, like a sour cherry warhead sour margarita, a yogurt ube fizz and drinks capturing Rice Krispy Treats, circus animal crackers, Teddy Grahams and gushers.

:shock: Does anyone remember the very short-lived cereal restaurant?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:54 am

I just found it ...odd (?) that they would be accepting reservations for a big dining night like Valentine's Day (Not that far off) without a menu being shown anywhere. Is the dining public that trusting?

(Thank you Rich for taking the time to post what you could find. It was helpful.)
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:29 pm

Nostalgic's menu is on Yelp now, but still isn't on the restaurant website.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nostalgic-rest ... louisville
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:55 pm

Rich S wrote:Nostalgic's menu is on Yelp now, but still isn't on the restaurant website.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nostalgic-rest ... louisville

I find the posted reviews highly suspicious, there are only 3 of them in the 2 five-star ones are from people in Chicago and Ohio? Doesn't seem like a place that people from out of town would find that quickly and the only one that's even close to being local is from Shepherdsville. Sounds like somebody stuffing the ballot box.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:51 am

I find the posted reviews highly suspicious, there are only 3 of them in the 2 five-star ones are from people in Chicago and Ohio? Doesn't seem like a place that people from out of town would find that quickly and the only one that's even close to being local is from Shepherdsville. Sounds like somebody stuffing the ballot box.

I believe it is physically connected to the new Belleweather Hotel, so out of towners wouldn’t be so odd.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:26 pm

The website has been updated with dinner and drink menus. Broke economy be damned!

I think that any great neighborhood with a lengthy history is great because it has the capacity to be resilient and to reinvent itself if needed. I think the Highlands is in a state of reinvention.

I also think that Louisville is drawing more out-of-towners than ever and this summer will be busy throughout the Highlands, into Nulu, along Whiskey Row and across the Big Four Bridge into Jeff. The Bellweather and Nostalic may very well be in the right place at the right time.

We take the Highlands for granted. Its also taken a few wacks in recent years. But its an impressive strip that can hold its own among its peers. This summer will be a defining period for the Highlands, Bellweather/Nostalgic, and for a way of life that keeps this place "weird." I hope this city's culinary scene just kicks ass!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:54 am

Good thought, James. That kind of fits in with my rumination on Nulu a few weeks ago. Things change. They always have. But in some ways they stay the same.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:06 am

Robin Garr wrote:Good thought, James. That kind of fits in with my rumination on Nulu a few weeks ago. Things change. They always have. But in some ways they stay the same.

Yep. I can't pass up an opportunity to share the famous French expression that many of us are familiar with:
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!" There is a reason why that became a widely known cliché. I think the longer we live, the more we witness it ourselves through our respective life experiences.
James J. Natsis
Next