Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Nostalgic

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Nostalgic

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:46 pm

James Natsis wrote:"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!"

Yep! That's what I had in mind when I wrote it in English. My father used to say that, then add, "as the old lady said when she kissed the cow."
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:11 pm

Had to love the headline of C-J's article on "Nostalgic" this evening....."Naive owner opens upscale Nostalgic bar..........."
I think it is a bit "Naive" to think you can drop an $80 ribeye in this market....especially when you've got no track record to justify such a price? In fact, there are a lot of items being offered, that have warm, fuzzy, "Nostalgic" names - - and silly prices.
I won't be stopping in, but I'd love to hear what those of you who do, think?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:55 am

Willie Myers wrote:I think it is a bit "Naive" to think you can drop an $80 ribeye in this market....especially when you've got no track record to justify such a price? In fact, there are a lot of items being offered, that have warm, fuzzy, "Nostalgic" names - - and silly prices.

Yeah, the entire menu is on the pushy side for pricing.
https://www.eatnostalgic.com/menu
:shock:

It's also hard to figure their thinking, given that Naive describes itself as "west coast, vegetable centric restaurant with meat options," known for a vegan-friendly approach, and they decide to open a pricey, upscale steakhouse. Maybe they figure on expanding by reaching out to a completely different core audience?
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:21 pm

$45 for half of a chicken?!?!?!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Certainly one thing is nostalgic on their menu and that is the prices! $22 for a burger with no sides, $37 for Steak Frites? I know food prices have gone up considerably but these are much higher than any equivalent restaurant in town.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:10 pm

Mark R. wrote:Certainly one thing is nostalgic on their menu and that is the prices! $22 for a burger with no sides, $37 for Steak Frites? I know food prices have gone up considerably but these are much higher than any equivalent restaurant in town.

That pushes it too far for me. I mean really? A burger isn't that difficult to do at home. And I mean a good one too.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:08 am

Bumping this up after a weekend dinner at Nostalgic. I will say that my original thoughts on this spot echoed the previous posters. When the pre-opening PR started and I saw the menu & pricing, I thought "Welp, this place is not really for me". I was confused both by the pricing and the meat-focused menu from the owners of Naive. But I was looking for a place to have a delayed mother's day dinner with my mom - she mentioned Nostalgic, so we took another look at the menu and decided to go for it.

It seems like they have made some adjustments to their menu. First, the space is beautiful and I can totally see the restaurant + cocktail house vibe. We decided to eat inside because we went at 6pm and it was still HOT out. But they have a huge, beautiful patio/deck space out front on Bardstown Rd and by the time we left, it was HOPPING outside.

Their updated menu is perfect for the way that my mom and I prefer to eat. Which is to share multiple veggie focused things. We were offered a complimentary aperitif to start and it was served in a very cute bird glass. To drink, I had the Sour Cherry Warhead Marg and mom had the Crispy Treat Colada (what can I say, she like sweet drinks)

We had the following and shared them:

Heirloom Tomato
Ricotta,strawberry, furikake
$10

Crispy Brussel Sprouts
lemon, pickled carrot, popcorn, sorghum
$12

Grains
Roasted oyster mushroom, corn, spring pea, garlic purée

and we ended the meal with
Lemon Meringue
shortbread, candied lemon, blueberry cream
$11

For a hot evening it was perfect and we honestly can't wait to go back and share more veggie dishes. Everything was really good but the brussel sprouts in particular might have been the best I have ever had. The total for 2 drinks, 2 shareable plates, 1 entree and 1 dessert was right around $77 I think. Add in a $20 tip and it still felt like a good value to me for a special occasion dinner.

To comment on some of the earlier posts about their pricing, the caviar potato skins are gone. The smash burger is $17 and comes with fries. The Ribeye is now $55. Half chicken no longer on the menu.

Anyway - we liked it. There are still expensive choices on the menu, but I like places that have options, both with pricing and their offerings. Give it another look!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:54 am

Heather, thanks so much! I've frankly been putting off Nostalgic for all the same reasons as you had, so I'm delighted to hear of this evolution. Back on the list it goes!
Previous