Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Mike Linnig's enters season 99!

by James Natsis » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 pm

Its easy to take this place for granted since it is mainly out of sight and just goes about its business. But it is friggin impressive--in longevity and in breadth, and in its natural grandeur.

They've expanded enclosed and outdoor seating throughout the grounds and WDRB reported that they can accomodate 1,000 people. Who knows how accurate that is, but they surely seat more than just about any other restaurant around.

The place has a huge footprint along the backside of Louisville in a nice hiking area along the levee of the Ohio River. Its a wonderful setting for spending extended time with friends and family, especially kids. Its an iconic institution and it gets a huge salute from this appreciative foodie. Happy 99, Mike!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mike Linnig's enters season 99!

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:49 am

All true, James, and well worth a trip out Cane Run Road. I still have to chuckle at their age claim, though. Within recent memory they traced their origin story to 1947, when they actually opened as, you know, a restaurant. For years before that it was a produce stand, and that's where the 99 story starts. Heck, even 1947 puts them in the first tier of oldest restaurants around. Why fluff it?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:53 pm

I think they may have "santosed" their date of origin!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 pm

I've eaten at Linnig's once. I didn't see what all the hype is about. A lot of recent reviews have said they're using a lower quality whitefish (pollock, swai for example). These types of fish are more darker meat than white, so they shouldn't be allowed to call it whitefish. This is the same complaint I have with Hungry Pelican and their "snowfish," but I found that their "whitefish" on my last visit had too much dark and chewy meat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:09 am

James Natsis wrote:I think they may have "santosed" their date of origin!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:55 am

Terri Beam wrote:I've eaten at Linnig's once. I didn't see what all the hype is about. A lot of recent reviews have said they're using a lower quality whitefish (pollock, swai for example). These types of fish are more darker meat than white, so they shouldn't be allowed to call it whitefish. This is the same complaint I have with Hungry Pelican and their "snowfish," but I found that their "whitefish" on my last visit had too much dark and chewy meat.

I think Linnig's is more of an overall "experience" than a quest for the best fish in town. Its simply a nice place to hang around for a bit on a warm afternoon, especially with out of town guests looking for something on the more unique side.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:26 pm

James Natsis wrote:I think Linnig's is more of an overall "experience" than a quest for the best fish in town. Its simply a nice place to hang around for a bit on a warm afternoon, especially with out of town guests looking for something on the more unique side.

Totally agree. In many ways it reminds me of Captain's Quarters in that the total experience of relaxing outside on a nice day with the river nearby, friends around you, and ACCEPTABLE food warrants the trip.

The other positive of Linnig's to me is that you will see everyone from Louisville there, Mercedes's parked adjacent to Harley's, all colors and ethnicities, sort of like a giant party uniting (even if only for a brief meal) all parts of the city!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:40 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
James Natsis wrote:I think Linnig's is more of an overall "experience" than a quest for the best fish in town. Its simply a nice place to hang around for a bit on a warm afternoon, especially with out of town guests looking for something on the more unique side.

Totally agree. In many ways it reminds me of Captain's Quarters in that the total experience of relaxing outside on a nice day with the river nearby, friends around you, and ACCEPTABLE food warrants the trip.

The other positive of Linnig's to me is that you will see everyone from Louisville there, Mercedes's parked adjacent to Harley's, all colors and ethnicities, sort of like a giant party uniting (even if only for a brief meal) all parts of the city!

Ditto on Captain's Quarters.

Interesting observation about the diversity of patrons at Linning's. I observed the same thing but thought it was just me. But I saw guys with the collectable cars hanging in the parking lot across the street, and just about any other type of folks as you pointed out. It is certainly a gathering juncture, especially on a nice weekend when there are hundreds of people crawling about.
James J. Natsis