Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

10 Oldest LOU Restaurants

by SilvioM » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:13 pm

Don't know how accurate it is, but an interesting list, moreso (to me) in that most of those on it are still decent places. I don't know how to get around the non-subscriber block, but it is: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/dining/restaurant/2023/01/13/louisville-restaurants-10-oldest-local-food-business-near-me/69764456007/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: 10 Oldest LOU Restaurants

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:27 pm

I got past the paywall, maybe because I haven't used up my free quota. No real surprises on the list, although a few need asterisks that the CJ story didn't disclose: Jack Fry's and the Brown Hotel's English Grill closed for long gaps before reopening under different owners. Pat's was known as Min's for many years under different ownership before Pat Francis took over in the 1980s. And Mike Linnig's has been a restaurant since around 1947, but in recent years has started claiming a 1925 opening since the family operated a produce stand at that location.

Here's the complete list:
Oriental House - 1964
Twig & Leaf - 1962
D. Nalley's - 1960
Pat's Steakhouse - 1958
Dairy Del - 1951
Check's - 1935
Jack Fry's - 1933-1977, 1987-
Mike Linnig's - 1925
English Grill - 1923-1969, 1982-
Wagner's Pharmacy - 1923
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:08 am

It should be noted that the English Grill is "temporarily closed" and has been since I believe about early November. Haven't heard why or how long.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:06 pm

The Bristol is starting to get up there... According to their website, 1977.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:06 pm

Dizzy Whizz?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 am

King fish predates 1965 at least although in a different location on River Rd.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:33 pm

Mike L wrote:The Bristol is starting to get up there... According to their website, 1977.

That sounds about right. I started at The Louisville Times in 1977, and a bunch of reporters loved to get together at the "new" Bristol after work.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:19 pm

If I remember, Oriental House changed owners around 20 years ago, so not sure if they count or not.

Jade Palace is not far from the same age, again with an ownership change (in 2016). Also, August Moon is 36 years old, not making the list yet but getting up there.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:21 pm

I guess we can all set out own rules, Andrew, but I don't think an ownership change breaks the chain as long as the name of the business and its general style don't change. That, as noted, would knock out Jack Fry's and the English Grill, Pat's and probably a good share of the long-lived spots.

I don't believe Jade Palace goes back nearly as far as Oriental House. I'm almost sure I reviewed it as new when I was writing the food column at the newspapers, 1984-90. It certainly precedes Westport Village, but it was part of the previous Camelot Center.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:33 am

Robin Garr wrote: I don't think an ownership change breaks the chain as long as the name of the business and its general style don't change. . . . I'm almost sure I reviewed it as new when I was writing the food column at the newspapers, 1984-90. It certainly precedes Westport Village, but it was part of the previous Camelot Center.

In 2008 you called it around 20 years or so old, and their webpage said "decades" with no specificity, so I guessed (wrongly). Oh, well. We moved here in '83, and friends took us there not long after (tho we didn't know how old it was or wasn't). Still not old enough.

Meanwhile, the Oakroom at the Seelbach dates to 1905. Today it's referred to both as "The Oakroom, now available for private functions" and as "The Oakroom in the Seelbach Bar, open for drinks or food." I would think that this would count, as it's the same name, pretty close to the same location (from mezzanine to the ground floor), and still with food and drink?
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:51 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Meanwhile, the Oakroom at the Seelbach dates to 1905. Today it's referred to both as "The Oakroom, now available for private functions" and as "The Oakroom in the Seelbach Bar, open for drinks or food." I would think that this would count, as it's the same name, pretty close to the same location (from mezzanine to the ground floor), and still with food and drink?

Andrew,
What they call the Oakoom today if that even close to the true restaurant that it used to be. It's completely different and I don't think it's even close to being something you would call a continuation of the restaurant. Unfortunately, the Oakroom restaurant closed quite a while ago and doesn't appear to ever going to be open again!

I hope the same thing isn't happening with the English Grill.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:01 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Meanwhile, the Oakroom at the Seelbach dates to 1905. Today it's referred to both as "The Oakroom, now available for private functions" and as "The Oakroom in the Seelbach Bar, open for drinks or food." I would think that this would count, as it's the same name, pretty close to the same location (from mezzanine to the ground floor), and still with food and drink?

Andrew, there's a problem of continuity there too, unfortunately. Like the Brown, the Seelbach fell victim to the hollowing out of downtown surrounding white flight in the '60s. The hotel quite literally decayed into a fleabag and, I believe, closed for several. years in the mid-'70s before the actor Roger Davis, a Louisville native, bought and lavishly restored it in 1978. I can pin down that date because I was new at The Louisville Times in 1977 and covered that story as a junior general assignment reporter. :) The Oakroom was also lavishly restored and enjoyed its grand opening, with the hotel, in 1982. (And sadly, Roger Davis overspent and had to sell to a national hotel chain, the first of several, not too long afterward.). So, a serious interruption between the original Oakroom and the restored Oakroom. Their high rating from AAA encouraged each chain to maintain the room for fine dining, but as you guys have already pointed out, the pandemic may or may not have put an end to that. I guess we'll see.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Their high rating from AAA encouraged each chain to maintain the room for fine dining, but as you guys have already pointed out, the pandemic may or may not have put an end to that. I guess we'll see.

Actually, it closed before the pandemic began. I called it if several times when and if it was going to reopen and was told it would but that was at least a year before the pandemic began. I'm afraid it's never going to reopen again at least in the form of fine dining it was previously. I also talked to the Brown today and they said they don't have a date when the English Grill is good to reopen either, so I fear that's another fine dining location we've lost.

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:27 pm

OK, trying again!!!

Lots of notice the past few days about the Cottage Inn, opened in 1929, had a couple of owners (2?), closed a year or so ago, and just reopened with the identical menu and recipes it had before closing!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:33 pm

Kaelin's opened in 1934. While they've been in more than one location (although all are near the current) and had multiple owners and a recent name change (to 80/20 Kaelin;s), the general theme and location of the restaurant has stayed the same . . .
Andrew Mellman
Next