Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Paris Banh Mi coming to.......Mt Washington!

by James Natsis » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:25 pm

That's right, folks. I saw it with my own eyes!

I meander down that way from our Glenmary domicile from time to time, especially after a visit to the Parklands of Floyds Fork which begins (or ends) on Bardstown Rd near Mt Washington. There is a Kroger on Bardstown Rd in the heart of Mt Washington with a growing number of venues in the surrounding plaza. Well, I saw a "Boba Tea and Sandwiches" on the side of a new building popping up. I drove closer and sure enough--Parish Banh Mi was posted in front on permanent signage.

The place looks smaller than the one in the Highlands. Although the interior is basically built out, the design is not clear yet. I hope they serve pho and other dishes as they have been doing for a while now at the Highlands location. I am still in a stupor!

The thought of having a "go to" place to the left exiting Glenmary is foreign. But I do think that an important component of the growth in the Gene Snyder/Bardstown Rd area is the flow from Mt Washington to and fro. Heine Bros is opening their first drive-thru only location near the ramp to the Gene Snyder. There is a Starbucks directly across the street and a Panera next door. It is an increasingly busy corridor.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Paris Banh Mi coming to.......Mt Washington!

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:06 am

Interesting report! I had a Sunday job in Bardstown for several months a decade ago, and even then, I thought it was surprising how the stretch from Fern Creek to Mount Washington was building up more than I would have realized if I hadn't been there.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting report! I had a Sunday job in Bardstown for several months a decade ago, and even then, I thought it was surprising how the stretch from Fern Creek to Mount Washington was building up more than I would have realized if I hadn't been there.

Robin,
A year in bourbontopia is like a dog year. My crystal ball shows a "Robin in Wonderland" image with you wandering about in late spring like a kid in an amusement park trying to figure out which of the big rides to do next!

Consider that Bardstown Bourbon and Lux Row didn't even exist. Bardstown Bourbon is the "Napa Valley" experience in bourbontopia where visitors can dine in a modern, atrium-like glassed restaurant with a well-conceived food selection. Also, don't forget that they can serve fancy drinks in those places now. Lux Row takes one down a long estatesque entrance with lined trees more like one would find in southern France.

Willet didn't even do tours back then. Now you'll find license plates from everywhere with small groups of gen-x buddies hanging around eating lunch outside with a drink at the antibellum style restaurant. Heaven Hill has expanded twice with the latest adding dining in a state of the art setting.

Look back at where Louisville was with bourbon a decade ago (nothing) and where its gone these days. Bardstown has a chicness to it now that reflects a new generation of savvy visitors popping from one bourbon experience to another. I saw this evolve from a time when I did some early articles for Insider Louisville.

Yep, my crystal ball sees a two-part bourbon season preview for foodies and bourbon aficionadas curious as to "whats this boubon fuss all about?" And to think, this is just about 25 minutes from my house straight down Bardstown Rd---you don't even need a GPS to find it.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:43 pm

I hope Paris Banh Mi does well there. I've been surprised at how much is going on in Mount Washington: Milano Italian Restaurant moved to the center of town, not far from the new Gallant Fox taproom, and Black Olive Italian Restaurant is taking over the old Milano location out on Ky. 44.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu May 25, 2023 10:03 am

The soft opening for the Mount Washington location will be Sunday, May 28.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Paris-B ... 498625943/

James Natsis wrote:I hope they serve pho and other dishes as they have been doing for a while now at the Highlands location.

I don't see a full menu, but the Facebook page says "Banh Mi(Sandwich), Croissant, Burger, Boba Tea, Coffee, Korean Corn Dog, Pho, and Ramen Noodle Soup."
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Mon May 29, 2023 10:05 pm

I ran out to Mt. Washington today to check it out. Busy busy busy!

I grabbed one of the banh mi sandwiches (the shredded chicken) for my fiance. He said it was very good. I didn't get one because I have so many dietary sensitivities, I'm not very adventurous of late. They're having a buy 2 boba teas get 1 free deal for the soft opening, so I wound up with two Thai teas and one "Paris By Night" tea (which is brown sugar milk tea aka Tiger's milk as some stores call it).

Unlike a lot of other boba tea shops, they don't offer a choice of sweetness and ice levels. They also don't automatically include boba (50 cent upcharge). I liked the Thai tea though, although I would have preferred less sweetness.

I was really interested in trying the Korean corn dogs, but one of them was a major disappointment. The ramen corn dog was exceptionally bland. I tried dipping it in honey mustard I already had, but it didn't help it at all. The original corn dog was fine. For some reason it had more flavor. Then again ramen noodles by themselves have no flavor, so I shouldn't have been surprised. I don't do spicy, so I didn't try the flaming Cheetos dog. There's also a potato dog with what looked like those little potato strips that are sold in cans.

Ramen, pho, and some of the other fried snacks are not available yet.

I've never been to the Highlands location, so I can't say if it compares negatively or positively to that location, but it does have all the pastries and sweets as seen in the original. I still think I prefer ShareTea and Fun Tea, but maybe once they get their fried snacks going, I might change my mind. It certainly looks like Bullitt County wanted boba tea though! They just need more flavors. I've tried some places out in Evansville that have a ridiculous number of flavors that Louisville hasn't matched yet.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 pm

Thanks for the report, Terri! Always appreciated.