Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Any Indian buffets reopened?

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Any Indian buffets reopened?

by James Natsis » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:48 pm

I used to really enjoy Indian buffets pre-covid. A few places I stopped by the past year no longer offer a buffet. Does anyone know of any Indian buffet that has reopened?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Indian buffets reopened?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:45 am

Not to the best of my knowledge. I'm not absolutely sure that the Metro Health Department is down with buffets yet, given that Covid is far from over. I don't know for sure, but I can say that I've been at Tikka House and Clay Oven within the past couple of months and didn't see a buffet at either.

(Thinking out loud, though, Alhambra is publicizing the reopening of their buffet - weekends only - so I surely the inspectors wrote off on that.)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:09 pm

The large Chinese buffet near the cinema on Hurstbourne, and Al Ahram in the highlands reopened their buffets. I don't get it with the Indian restaurants. I enjoy variety when I eat Indian food. The thali platters have been my alternatve though they are not served in all restaurants.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:35 pm

There's clearly a demand for buffets in Louisville. In addition to Al Hamra and Jumbo Buffet on Hurstbourne, there's Yoki Buffet, Golden Corral, the Bristol's Sunday brunch buffet and Angio's Italian Restaurant. There must be a reason the Indian buffets haven't reopened, but I don't know what it is. I checked around a little online, and there are at least a few Indian buffets operating in Lexington, Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:34 pm

I had lunch at Shalimar with the wife this afternoon. We both had a vegetarian thali that was wonderful as usual.
I asked one of the guys who has been there forever. He said it was cost prohibitive. They couldn't do it for under $20.

Al Ahram charges over $20 for their buffet now. I understand the dilemna.

Golden Corral was mentioned above. I eat there when I'm in Charleston. As a senior, I can have lunch or early bird before 4:00 for just at $10. Its the best deal in town and I can at least eat some descent salad apart from whateever mediocre food they serve.
James J. Natsis