Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Watch Hill Proper

User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Watch Hill Proper

by Chris M » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:52 pm

Just wanted to convey a recent experience I had while dining at Watch Hill Proper in Norton Commons. Went in with a fairly large group to take advantage of their happy hour specials. I'd been there a number of times, but only for drinks, this time we decided to try the food. One of our group has a sensitivity to both gluten and dairy and has decided to keep both out of her diet. One of the specials was a hamburger, so she ordered it and asked if they could leave off the cheese and bun. Something she has ordered many places many times. She was told no modifications can be made to any menu items. Period. Ok... I guess that's their choice. So she asked "Ok, are there any items on your menu that are gluten and dairy free?" to which she got a "Uhh.... wow that's a tough one. I don't know." and a blank stare. No offer to check. No attempt to assist.

One person had decided to try one of their appetizers and the waiter took the order, and then 10 minutes later came back to inform us they were "out of that". No offer to correct anything. No apology.

Obviously we chose not to order food, finish our drinks and dine elsewhere.

I went online and looked at the menu and there are items on there I would guess are safe for people with food sensitivity / allergies, but how does your staff not know? How do they not know you are out of an item until 10 minutes after the order is placed?

Happy hour is at opening, so it's not like they had run out during the course of service.

How does one set up a kitchen in such a way that you can't leave a bun off a burger?

Of course I reached out to management to express my concerns and was met with a response so condescending and sarcastic that I now feel I have no choice but to express my displeasure publicly. I'm not one to trash a business but the arrogance of the people at Watch Hill drove me to do it lest others run into the situation we did. I get that they are going for the douchy bourbon bar vibe but I think they are taking the douche part a tad too far.

It's a pretty place with a decent (but massively overpriced - note their pours are 1.5oz and not the standard 2oz) whiskey selection but if you or anyone in your party have any food sensitivities or want to make any even minor customizations to your order, this is not the place for you. Expect to be met with ignorant staff and condescending management. If that's your thing, have at it.

Gonna guess based on what I know of the folks in this forum, it is not.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Watch Hill Proper

by JustinHammond » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:09 pm

We’ve been multiple times. Love the place. We’ve never tried to alter their menu and we feel the bourbon prices are fair for a high end establishment.

I’m over the “I’ll have a cheeseburger without cheese or bun”.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Ville

by Chris M » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:07 pm

*deleted
Last edited by Chris M on Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Ville

by Chris M » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks for your input Justin. I'm happy to hear you don't have health problems related to the food you eat and the challenges that entails. Some people do. If only they could just declare themselves "over it" as well.

I don't consider anything about WHP "high end". Wanna be is more it's aesthetic.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:59 pm

Your wrong. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, both food and drink related. I choose my restaurants and menus accordingly or just accept my fate. I don’t blame them for not catering to me.

If watch hill is not “high end” to you, congrats.

It’s pretty fancy for this guy.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting, I’ve not been and now I will certainly not go in the future. That they at first refused to make a very simple modification (one that would have saved them money in the end!) and then responded afterwards in such a dismissive way afterwards says it all.

As for dining out, especially given as expensive as it now is, I’m done with the Covid-curve. No more sympathetic excuses for places that don’t treat their customers right due to post-Covid staffing and training issues. Get it right.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:20 am

SilvioM wrote:Thanks for posting, I’ve not been and now I will certainly not go in the future. That they at first refused to make a very simple modification (one that would have saved them money in the end!) and then responded afterwards in such a dismissive way afterwards says it all.

As for dining out, especially given as expensive as it now is, I’m done with the Covid-curve. No more sympathetic excuses for places that don’t treat their customers right due to post-Covid staffing and training issues. Get it right.

I certainly agree! We've already marked a couple of places off our list because of post-Covid issues.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:35 am

Chris, I'm surprised to hear that, but I have no reason to doubt you. I'm really sorry you had that kind of experience. Watch Hill Proper is on my "to do at some point" list, and now I know not to ask for a substitution. (Or maybe I should ... could make for a great review! :twisted: )
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:19 pm

They lost me at “Watch Hill Proper is Louisville's premier bourbon club.” Didn’t realize you had to join a club to tip one. :wink:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:33 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:They lost me at “Watch Hill Proper is Louisville's premier bourbon club.” Didn’t realize you had to join a club to tip one. :wink:

Louisville Food and Dining did a nice spread on the place for the recent print edition. It was penned by Roger Baylor. The place and food look awesome. Out of my range but if people want a swank, higher price point and quality type of place, and are willing to pay for it, then who am I to argue with that. I do think that not bending to accommodate a reasonable request is a bit snooty, but I don't know the circumstances.

The article explains that they were not going to do full restaurant service initially. But due to enough demand, they dove in. I guess some of the folks out that way want to have a nice place where they can spend their money without going too far. It is not exclusive to club members, but rather non members are not able to reserve tables nor partake in some other perks. This seems fair to me.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 am

Come on people! Asking for "no bun, no cheese" isn't exactly a high maintenance request. It's a burger for crying out loud not a Kobe Beef Wellington. And snark from the manager afterwards? This is why people often don't bother to complain, they just never go back. They WILL share their humiliation with others however.

And the countdown for the life span of Watch Hill Proper starts now....
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson